I urgently need your advice on this please.

Hello Pals,
I am presently working on teaching children, How to create web pages. Children aged between 10 and 13. I still have this on paper. Im thinking of going to various schools to make a proposal on this issue.
But my challenge now is: I dont seem to know how to go about writing the proposal. How do i do the intro? I need you all to please give me some points then i will elaborate on them.
Thanks everyone in advance.
Golden Waters

chrishirst

Staff member
The proposal would really depend on what you would be proposing to teach them.

How to create and style HTML documents using code, or as many schools already do, how to use a application to create documents.

I want to teach them how to create web pages or better put, How to create websites using HTML and Dreamweaver.

I just need to get a description on how to draft the proposal.

Thanks,
Golden Waters

JakClark

I'm not confident many would be interested in learning HTML, let alone websites in general at 10. But, I don't know. :p

Having said that, my interest for such grew at that age - so it might be good idea. I would gather together little features of websites that they would consider 'fun', such as a rollover button, inserting an animated image into the page and have them do it.

BlueSky

Keep in mind that Dreamweaver is an expensive program. I don't think schools will fund this. You may want to pitch it in a sense of "Basic Web Design Skills" and teach them basic HTML. Than, if you get your foot in the door you can see if the schools want to have a Level 2 Web Design course

leroy30

Or you could just get the kids using http://jsfiddle.net/

I doubt at 10 it would matter which software they use. As JakClark says I hink you should merely focus on creating something "cool" than doing anything useful or learning any particular practises or development environments.

Your goal should be to spark an interest in these youngsters (and the very basic skills) so that they can later develop this interest into a career goal. At 10 there is no need to go into the specifics.

To put it into another context; how many schools teach a basis for accounting (think maths class) yet I've never heard of a school teaching 10-year-olds how to use MYOB and submit tax returns!!!

I think its a good idea but just need to look at your reasons why.

Good luck!

leroy30

Better yet develop something like jsfiddle but aimed at kids. Let them drag and drop fun elements onto a page and make simple changes in the code behind to see what it does; with fun animations, images and buttons everywhere and difficult-to-break code.

And then let them post it in a school gallery elsewhere on the site so they can show friends and family at home what they created.

I guess its a facebook for kids that can be modified at code level. Probably already exists. Google search it!