I really really need help with CSS & IE 6.

cquinndesign

Okay, so I have a client who I designed a site for. I don't really test for IE6 especially because MS announced they are planning on not supporting it anymore. The client really likes the design, and so do I....but the site does not work in IE6. I have spent hours, if not days trying to figure it out. Maybe someone can look at it and tell me what they think. If you help me out I would be forever debted to you! I really need this site to work.

Thanks!

the site is..... diamond nails and spa dot net

thank you very much!

jvmills

It would probably help if you were more specific regarding what elements are causing you problems.

Typically things like margin, padding, z-index all cause problems in IE but then so does lots of other stuff!

Tweak the design one problem at a time and use something like Adobe Browser lab to see what other browsers/os are causing problems.

sysgenmedia

This is an interesting problem. IE6 is a huge pain to deal with, but unfortunately many corporations still use it to this day. Ignoring it completely simply isn't an option.

That said, while I've dealt with plenty of IE6 issues, I haven't ever seen it completely not render, especially when if you view the source the code is there.

One thing that may help: IE6 is very unforgiving when it comes to mistakes, and I notice that in your IE-only code to switch the stylesheets you reference "ie.css", which doesn't exist. "css/ie.css" does exist. Try changing it to that and maybe it will get you back on track.

Best of luck! Trouble-shooting IE6 usually becomes a process of guess and check until you iron everything out.

cquinndesign

the problem is that i have looked at the code and i cannot figure out which problem i am having.

this is what the issue looks like, the site on the left is Internet Explorer 6 the image on the right is what shows for IE 7/8

i can't figure out what to do!

ss.png

Ontwerpexpert

Ok its easy.

What does IE6 to **** up webpages?

The most important things it does are:

It ****s up padding.

It stretches padding instead of inline them..

So the Div is not wide enough anymore..

And it hates floats, and so on.

Avoid padding, use 2x marging divs instead!!!!!!!

Also do this on ur stylesheet:

html { margin: 0px; padding: 0px; }

/* REMOVE WIDTHS ON UL & MORE */

ul, li { margin: 0px; padding: 0px; }

MMM there's so much more.

I programm the webpages so solid that I dont have these problems,

anywayz... i suggest u create a head declaration that < IE6 will have another stylesheet and just correct ur current!

Good luck!

By the way, I can fix these things to, my hour loan is just 22.50 so mail me.