I have made commitments to my clients that will be difficult for me to fill

mguise

I have a freelance web/graphic design business that I have been building for a while. I recently accepted a full time job at a company working in web development. My problem is that the job starts in a couple of weeks. I have made commitments to my clients that will be difficult for me to fill while I have the full time job, i.e. due dates, etc.

As I am the only person in the company (it's an LLC) it's really too small to sell. Here is my dilemma. About a year ago I moved from a large city to a small town in south east Iowa. Two clients that I recently picked up is the city I live in. Only a population of about three hundred people. And the transport company that is located about a block from my house. I live next to these people so I don't want to make anyone mad. I need someone to take over these projects (websites) if I can. These clients have already signed contracts and paid me half up front to begin work. We are in the early stages of the design process.

So what do I do. I don't want to get into any legal problems as there is a contract. I also don't want to upset anyone because I am neighbors with them. I just don't have the time any more to commit to what I told them I would do.

Any business advice would be much appreciated.

michaelgee123

Outsource your projects. There are plenty of website design companies that would be willing to take over them. Contact me and I would be able to.

Edge

The only 2 reasons you give for not wanting to back out are legal and they're neighbours so any fallout wold be messy and on your doorstep. I'm not hearing anything like 'I need to honour my committment'. Either outsource to someone clearly reliable and accept a loss, work insane hours or give the money back.

leroy30

1) Find an alternative web person / company that is professional, well priced and is happy to take over the project.

2) Approach your clients face to face or on the phone (no emails!) and explain the situation as it is. Explain that you can no longer continue with your company and have accepted a contracted position and that you would be unable to continue to provide the services you promised. Then offer some resolution for example a refund. This is where step 1 comes in to place as a refund may not be neccessary if this company is happy to take over at the price you were going to do the job. Explain to your client that you have a very credible company that you are happy to put them in touch with (company from step 1) and solicit the initial meeting.

If they have any sense and decency they will respect your honesty and move forward with their options.

A difficult thing it is to dissapoint but we all have to do it some time! Just handle it the right way and you should be ok.