I have a query .....

chrishirst

Staff member
.... and as there doesn't seem to be a "confidential" board where only a TS and "staff" can see what is posted it will have to be public.

Does anybody actually moderate the spammers with links in fake signatures and just in case no one is aware WHY they do this, it is because when a username is banned vBulletin turns off the signature BUT if they fake their signature with;

Admins and Moderators may not even notice, then if and when they are banned, their "signature" links remain in place in perpetua.

I'm only asking so I know whether to bother reporting spammers or not.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
We're doing our best. I can't speak for other mods, but I was honestly surprised to find out just how much spam there is to sift through. Some things are going to slip thru the cracks.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good point chris, and true that it is possibly something that flies under the radar.

please post any spammers here
http://www.webdesignforum.com/4471-report-spam-thread.html
and they'll be dealt with promptly.

for the record we have quite a lot of spam here and generally we try to remove them (and you should see the banned list!) but of course some slip through the cracks. any help from anyone to keep this forum clean is appreciated...

cheers
:)

chrishirst

Staff member
Good point chris, and true that it is possibly something that flies under the radar.
Yep, I understand that, having two forums of my own and being a moderator or administrator on three others.

please post any spammers here
http://www.webdesignforum.com/4471-report-spam-thread.html
and they'll be dealt with promptly.
I do use the "report" link that is on all posts, but there are two "fake sig spammers" that still remain. My attitude to "fake sig spam" AND ones who declare a location of "City/Town US" or "City/Town UK while sporting an IP supplied by Airtel Broadband India are lying for a less than honest and therefore will deceiving the genuine forum members (or at least trying to) and they are banned instantly and their details are added to the Stop Forum Spam database.

for the record we have quite a lot of spam here and generally we try to remove them (and you should see the banned list!) but of course some slip through the cracks. any help from anyone to keep this forum clean is appreciated...
You don't need to tell me about it. :D On one forum I implemented a SFS lookup plugin/mod in January this year, since then it has stopped over THREE THOUSAND registration and it's not that "well known" currently.

When i was "Super Mod" at Webmaster-talk.com before Freelancer built a recruitment centre (and for a little while after) on it, I would be banning 30 od spammers a week on average and there were four other mods doing the same thing.