I hate flash

DesigNes

http://www.vicsongwriter.com
*Music warning, this is an artist site*

But when your "client" wants it, what are you going to do?
(He's a friend, so "client")

His only complaint is that his head "looks funny" any suggestions for what I could place behind the train tracks before they sky to keep the general look of the site but provide a break?

I've tried a wall and it looked really lame.

Personally I think it looks great, but I also created it so... :)

Last edited:

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure why you used flash here. You're not doing anything that can't be done with JQuery. You need to add some headers to the content to break it up a little. To further break things up, consider just using snippets of content with links to other pages that have the full content. Looking at that large block of text, I had no desire to even start reading it.

DesigNes

All I can say is that artists can be temperamental and think they are always right...
(and I don't mean me) :D

DesigNes

Ack! Forgot to press send maybe?

Anyway - thanks guys :). I'm going to look into jQuery for sure! I think that would make me a lot happier. I don't like how inflexible flash is (at least with my limited exposure). I do have to keep the site pretty to keep my 'client' happy - but I'd rather come to a happy middle-ground!

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
(Flash look better imho though the site seems to load a little slow)...

The flash site did look better, but like he said, he's just trying it out.

You're going down the right road here. A couple of things to watch out for:
1. The photo is obviously Photoshopped, if you can, take the time to go out and get a photo that looks right.
2. That div that scrolls won't work on touch devices, so anything that is below the bottom of that div will be inaccessible.

krymson

Yeah the images need to be cleaned up and just work on getting your styling down right and you'll be golden... good start and congrats on finding a new lease on life and a more SEO friendly alternative to Flash.

DesigNes

(Geeze, I really do come off as a man online don't I... no worries, everyone gets it wrong)

lol - thanks guys, I know it looks like crap, that was a 5 minutes crop & toss to see if that was going to fix the "my head looks funny" complaint for the artist :) Seriously considering sticking him on something other then train tracks (which seemed like a good idea and have become a royal PITA)... maybe an elephant in a parade? ... (I *may* need a break from this site...)

I'm not happy with the scrolling bit either, but I took you're comment to heart Ron about too much text; because honestly, I don't read it either - I just spell check it. I'm going to break it up somehow, I just haven't decided how I want to do that yet (I'm thinking more blog like).

I hadn't done jQuery before (honestly a little intimidated by java) but this is incredibly easy & I'm a LOT happier with the general look of this one over the old; I just need to find my inspiration to set up the content & menus.

Last edited:

jasonrichardsmi

(Geeze, I really do come off as a man online don't I... no worries, everyone gets it wrong)

lol - thanks guys, I know it looks like crap, that was a 5 minutes crop & toss to see if that was going to fix the "my head looks funny" complaint for the artist :) Seriously considering sticking him on something other then train tracks (which seemed like a good idea and have become a royal PITA)... maybe an elephant in a parade? ... (I *may* need a break from this site...)

I'm not happy with the scrolling bit either, but I took you're comment to heart Ron about too much text; because honestly, I don't read it either - I just spell check it. I'm going to break it up somehow, I just haven't decided how I want to do that yet (I'm thinking more blog like).

I hadn't done jQuery before (honestly a little intimidated by java) but this is incredibly easy & I'm a LOT happier with the general look of this one over the old; I just need to find my inspiration to set up the content & menus.

If you do end up keeping the scroll bars you can tweak them to match your look:
http://css-tricks.com/custom-scrollbars-in-webkit/

Make sure you only apply that to scroll bars in your element if you deploy it page wide, the scroll bars bordering the window look all screwy in chrome.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
once you start with jquery it very easy to get sucked in and go over the top with it as it is so easy to implement.
javascript always confused me but jquery makes it really simple, and the small amounts of scripting you do need to do, kinda make sense so in the end you slowly learn JS as well. brilliant.
and yeah I hate flash too...but not as much as ie6...