hyperlinking images

rizla

hi

i'm kind of new to web development and graphic design and needed some help with some stuff. I'm trying to create a hyperlink out of an image however I want to do it for multiple pieces of the image.

Is this possible? I was able to create a hyperlink out of one of the images however I couldn't do it for multiple images of that one big image.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

DHDdirect

It has been a long time but I know you can do it easily with Adobe Fireworks and it'll export the html for it as well. It is called image maps.

HERE is a nice tutorial for creating one manually.

toxic

Banned
@DHDdirect: Thanks for sharing a great tutorial. I'm actually looking for the same answer. Thanks again. I would gladly put this on my blog. :)

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a solution without using dated image maps. Set the image as the background of a div. Then create divs positioned where you want the links. Use a 1px transparent Gif stretched across the positioned divs and hyperlinked. If people are interested,I can make an example later today.

notarypublic

The problem with image maps is that by today's standard they would hardly be considered interactive. Navigation bars change color when you mouse over them, or expand, or things like that - something image maps tend to fall short with.

Its Possible!

Without going far, you can use even Dreamweaver, all you need do is Highlight the image you want to use as an hyperlink, then at the property panel, look out for link. Then type the page to which you want to link the picture to.

Thanks,
Golden Waters,

che09

It is possible to create image maps by hand, using a text editor, however doing so requires that the web designer knows how to code HTML and also requires them to know the coordinates of the areas that they wish to place over the image. As a result, most image maps coded by hand are simple polygons.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
nice copy from wikipedia there jollymark. I'm certain the OP knows what a hyperlink is.

whilst image maps are one way of doing it, it as been mentioned that they have limitations, plus they are laborious

the easiest and most efficient way is what ronald suggested.