Html5 video on android phones

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can create an ogg, webm and mp4 file, and have a fallback to a flash file

or you could use the easiest way possible, which i've already given you the link for.

upside

Im determined not to have to learn javascript ( the next flash? ) and the ogg webm mp4 method she no work

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
javascript (the next flash?) ??? are you kidding.

to dismiss javascript in such a way is laughable.
and to bluntly refuse to learn it! man your just shooting yourself in the foot...

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
JS is nothing like flash. Flash's problem is that it's bloated, slow and unwieldy. It also doesn't make itself part of the document it's loaded into. JS, on the other hand adds interactivity to existing HTML elements by directly modifying the document itself. Like Phreaddee said, you're shooting yourself in the foot. The days of pages with no javascript are gone. It's as much an element of web design as HTML and CSS.

upside

i suppose i was being a bit facetious. But do i have a point? ie as css adds more and more interactivity, what will be the need for javascript?

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
CSS isn't designed for interactivity. Even elements like hover, transitions and animations are meant for design purposes. People tend to confuse feedback with interactivity. They aren't the same.

chrishirst

Staff member
CSS isn't designed for interactivity. Even elements like hover, transitions and animations are meant for design purposes. People tend to confuse feedback with interactivity. They aren't the same.

Amun to that, (no it's not a mis-spelling just the origin :D )

upside

And as a designer, do I care about interactivity? Maybe all I need is feedback. What would be an example of the difference?

Like, in this case, all i'm wanting is a video to play on an android phone. That's not even feedback maybe.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
as a "web designer" if you don't think about interactivity, you're not doing your job properly. A good understanding of JS and how it works is pretty important in this day and age.

again to get html5 video to work on all browsers and devices I'd suggest you look at that link I sent you. works on everything for me with that.

upside

ok so i tried that one. the good news is my page is now more complex than it was before. the bad news is the video still doesn't play on the android. go javascript!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
perhaps you need to upgrade your cupcake or jellybean to icecream sandwich or whatever crazy names they give them.

old android versions don't support html5 video
also they sometimes need a poster image to work properly

save from that it would be helpful to see the code...

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
so what is the difference between interactivity and feedback anyway?

e.g., Mouse hovers a link, link color changes.
Feedback is providing cues, usually visual, that help a user know that something is meant to be interacted with. Feedback is a part of presentation, which is the purpose of CSS.

Interactivity:
e.g., User clicks a link, a div expands to show content.
Interactivity is reaction to user input. Client-side scripting provides interactivity.

upside

sounds to me interactivity and feedback actually are the same thing. if there is a difference i still don't understand it.

respectfully

JakClark

Think of feedback as the extra little bits to aid in the user's experience. They're vital for a user to better understand how to navigate.

Interactivity would be something that happens when you do something else. These are quirks - or essential non-essentials. Hiding content until clicked doesn't have to be done. The content could already be visible - but it looks cool, huh?