HTML5 and CSS3

lolkaykay

Are these at all ready for production/real-world use? How well does HTML5 degrade in older browsers? Will the tags just become divs? Is anybody using HTML5 or CSS3 in their work at the moment?

bcee

Are these at all ready for production/real-world use? How well does HTML5 degrade in older browsers? Will the tags just become divs? Is anybody using HTML5 or CSS3 in their work at the moment?

I wouldn't yet unless a client that asks for it. Most modern browsers lack support, if any, for the two. Soon...

This is pretty handy to test your browser:
http://www.html5test.com/

lolkaykay

I subscribe to web jobs in twitter and quite a few have asked for HTML5 and CSS3 websites. I haven't really made a big effort to learn these two since I figured they didn't have much support but maybe it's necessary? I was just wondering why anybody would want a website done in HTML5 and CSS3 if there's very little support for them.

GeneticOpera

So we've landed on: it's a good idea to learn them, but at the moment there is little support for them so don't go changing all your websites unless you are asked to do so by a client who knows what he or she is talking about and understands the lack of support.

Thanks for starting this thread, btw! I've been wondering the same thing but I'm new-ish to web design and figured I should get a solid understanding of CSS and XHTML before moving on. Thanks for the links lolkaykay

amie3310

hello,
i have problem about css? So why css is always perform to your design? So what happen to your design without using css?

hoping for your help and concern..

thanks.

GeneticOpera

hello,
i have problem about css? So why css is always perform to your design? So what happen to your design without using css?

hoping for your help and concern..

thanks.

CSS is a good way to format your webpage. Before CSS web designers tried frames and tables, but they have their problems and did not allow designers the same freedom that CSS provides as far as design is concerned. Plus, with CSS you can create an amazing page that a novice cannot simply steal by gettign the source code since he'd need to figure out your divs and classes. Without CSS, your design would depend entirely on HTML, be harder to change if you had multiple sites, and would not be as current as sites that utilize CSS.

lolkaykay

Also, you can achieve a lot more with css without using a lot of images or extra lines of messy html codes that bulk up your website, making it load slower. CSS separates style from markup (HTML) so search engines can read your content and site structure a lot easier, which is better for SEO. Most HTML style tags like the font tag is deprecated, meaning that it will become obsolete/invalid later on. Lastly, css (if it's not inline css) makes it easier to modify the style of your website because if you change one thing, everything that the particular style applies to changes - this is a whole lot easier than sifting through your html file to find all the font tags or bold/italic tags to change everything that you need to. Hope that helps!

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
HTML5 and CSS3 have a strong support in FF and Chrome, and partial support in Safari. I "progressively enhance" the websites I build using CSS3. Key thing is to make sure the page still renders functional for those browsers that lack potential (IE, Opera).

That being said, I still stick to a HTML4 Doctype, because of the less qualified browsers.

I believe it will be a while before we see full support for HTMl 5, unfortunately :(