How to use the 960 grid system?

fs_tigre

Hi,

I got a question. I found a grid system called the “960 grid system” and I was wandering if someone from here have heard or used it. If yes, could someone explain why use a grid system and how, because I am a little confused they are saying this is a “CSS framework” what does the grid has to do with CSS?

I know this is probably based on the Rule of Thirds but why they say it is good for CSS designs, in fact there are some samples in the download showing a set of grids that I just don’t understand the message.

As I said I’m confused, can someone explain this a little bit more?

Thanks,
Fs_tigre

Vanish Design

The 960 grid system is two things.

1) it's an idea
The creator wants you to use the grid system because grids help organize your design. 960 is a nice number because it fills most of a 1024x768 resolution and it's divisible by a lot of numbers. For a grid, it's pretty flexible.

2) it's a CSS framework. A CSS framework is basically a starter CSS file. You get classes and IDs and you basically build the site using the existing stylesheet. You cut back on the amount of time working with CSS, which some folks might consider a chore.

Personally I think 1 is smart and 2 is stupid but that's because I love working with CSS.