how to use a template

seashell_blonde

I downloaded a template from templatesbox.com and I am confused about how to use it. I have a bunch of files, but basically - how do i edit the links? Where is the html? and how do i use the style sheet? I am so lost :-(

someguy

First of all how do you normally make a webpage? Do you use dreamweaver or a text editor to chance the html by hand?

seashell_blonde

I usually use CSS columns and then go onto HTML. NO dreamcast or fancy programs ... usually a basic layout w/ a header and then 2 columns. Maybe a footer. So I haven't really used these image-based backgrounds or whatever it is on the template stuff.

StephanieCordray

seashell_blonde said:
i found a better one on dreamweaver. Anyway, its a .zip which i know isn't a lot of help because i think it is a bunch of files packed together. it is this green template: http://www.dreamweaver-templates.org/web-template-9.htm so i am so confused about how to work with it. Where do i edit the HTML? It has some pictures and a read-me which doesn't explain what you actually have to do.

First you have to unzip it. The reason it was zipped was to make one big file out of many smaller files but you can't edit anything in it while it's in that state.

If you use windows, right click on the file and select extract... if it's winXP it will take you through a dialog box and you can specify exactly where you want the extracted files to save to.