How to transfer a website & databases

Sejadu

Hi,

I do reseller hosting and a new client is moving their website to me and has asked me to do the transfer.

I have the public_html folder as well as the database but I am not 100% sure how to proceed and if there are any specific steps that I need to consider.

If anyone knows of a good tutorial or can give me some good step by step tips, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

dickmedia

You should copy the website to the new server (probably through FTP), make a database dump and insert this dump to the new server.

In addition, odds are you need to change some website configuration in the website files (such as MySQL address, user, pass, etc) as well. You can check the websites files for something like config.inc.php or database.inc.php or something similar. There is no single tutorial for this as the procedure differs per website.

Last edited:

XeHSean

I would recommend that you contact your reseller hosting provider about this - most offer free website migration services

eProHosted

Contact your hosting provider and any reputable host will want to make you happy and transfer the site for you at no charge! That will make the process really easy for you as their client :)