How to Take Deposits on a Website.

Dazc

My friend would like the ability to take deposits for his photography business via his website & i was wondering what the best way to go about this would be? .. based in the UK if that is relevant.

I know there will probably some kind of fees involved, so..

Has anyone done something like this before? Taken deposits only without any physical or virtual product.

If so, what do you find best method? And Why?

What are the costs involved per month and/or per transaction?

When someone makes a deposit, there details will have to be involved so show who paid when and how much.

Thanks in Advance

chrishirst

Staff member
My friend would like the ability to take deposits for his photography business via his website & i was wondering what the best way to go about this would be? .. based in the UK if that is relevant.
Use a payment gateway.

Has anyone done something like this before? Taken deposits only without any physical or virtual product.
Thousands of people

If so, what do you find best method? And Why?
Best is subjective. What works for one may not work for another

What are the costs involved per month and/or per transaction?
Different for every provider.

When someone makes a deposit, there details will have to be involved so show who paid when and how much.
All payment gateways have a notification system.

For your client using Paypal website payments standard would be simplest and probably cheapest, with no setup cost and no monthly charges. Merchant accounts and other gateway providers have setup fees, and monthly charges whether or not any transaction have been done, PLUS transction fees.

Roddy

PayPal charges roughly 3% per transaction.
When someone makes a deposit, PayPal sends a notification with the clients name, email address etc.

Dazc

Thanks for the advice, i have looked into it a bit further & it seems paypal can be a bit 'iffy' about pre-selling or taking deposits? from what i have read it looks that way anyway. going to look further into that tomorrow.

My friend will just have to drive out and collect deposits for the time being lol

Roddy

PayPal doesn't have anything to do with it. You are just charging for a service. I take deposits and payments via PayPal and don't have any problems.

You can also use PayPal to send a client a bill if they have a PayPal account

chrishirst

Staff member
PayPal doesn't have anything to do with it. You are just charging for a service. I take deposits and payments via PayPal and don't have any problems.

You can also use PayPal to send a client a bill if they have a PayPal account

Absolutely! Taking payments of any kind via PayPal is only as good as the people at each end of the transaction.

Another option to look into would be Google Checkout.

We pay for our four dedicated servers via PayPal or Google Checkout, there are no "physical" goods involved there.