How to stay off the search engines?

seek313

I know most people here want tips on search engine optimization but what I need is slightly different. I want to make a website which will probably contain some private information (names, addresses, emails, numbers) and I wanted to know how I could keep this site OFF the search engines so nobody stumbles across this private info. by randomly googling one of the names on the list.

suz

Hi, I think you put this in your meta tags:
<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

Also if it's sensitive info you might want to think about password protecting it...

jnjc

If the information is sensitive you should password protect it. There are other ways for a url to get into the "wild"....

Aside from the legal ramifications I know I'd take a dim view of anybody who had my personal information and didn't protect it properly...

seek313

Thanks for the replies.

Are there any threads on the forum that explain how I could password protect a site?

jnjc

It depends on how your pages are put together. If they are dynamic then you would put the code to check if there is an active session at the top of your program before it outputs the sensitive information. If there is no session active then you bring the users to a login page instead of displaying the information. Once they have logged in they have an active session and can view the information.

The actual nuts and bolts of the above very much depend on what the language is etc...

HTH,
JC