How to recieve data from an existing form: Help required

ice52us

Yes, hello. I am trying to personalize an existing webpage to be my own. I have almost completely adapted it to be my own however one obstacle remains: The Form. I have provided the source code for it. What happens is that when you fill out the information, it seems you are redirected to a page where the information is submitted and stored, then you are redirected to another page which shows a personalized movie which uses some of that info. What I want to do, is to show the movie as it does, but retain the information for my self (as a lead) as well- either to be mailed to me or even better, to be listed on a seperate page which only I can access. Please provide instruction on how to accomplish this. Thanks!
Simply for reference, the address is www.roastedgarlic.ws, the thing I'm talking about is on the right column of the page. It starts with Fill out the ticket information below so we can personalize your movie.

<div id="content-side">

<form method="post" action="http://www.website.ws/kvmlm2/my.dhtml" name="ticket1" target="_blank">
<input type="hidden" name="sponsor" value="roastedgarlic">
<input type="hidden" name="form" value="1">

<div id="form-fill-out">

<div id="step1"></div>

<h2>Fill out the ticket information below so we can personalize your movie!</h2>

<div id="form-fill-out-content">

<p>The characters will actually say your name, so make sure you TURN UP YOUR SPEAKERS. Push the “Let Me In!” button, fasten your seatbelt and get ready for the ride of your life…</p>

<div id="form-fill-out-fields">

<div class="input-label">* First Name</div>
<input class="input-std" type="text" value="" id="field-first-name" name="fname"/>

<div class="input-label">* Last Name</div>
<input class="input-std" type="text" value="" id="field-last-name" name="lname"/>

<div class="input-label">* Email</div>
<input class="input-std" type="text" value="" id="field-email" name="email"/>

<div class="input-label">* Confirm Email</div>
<input class="input-std" type="text" value="" id="field-confirm-email" name="confirm_email"/>

<div class="input-label">Phone # <span>(optional)</span></div>
<input class="input-std" type="text" value="" id="field-phone" name="phone"/>

<div id="btn-enter-now"><a href="javascript:document.ticket1.submit();" >Enter Now</a></div>

</div>

<div id="label-required">* denotes a required field.</div>

</div>

</div>

Last edited:

conor

Are you prepared to use PHP. Thats the language that I would use to accomplish this.

Check out this tutorial on collecting information from a form with PHP:
http://www.tizag.com/phpT/examples/formex.php

If you have difficulty understanding this whole concept just let me know! It can be difficult to be immersed in a new language just like that! :)

ice52us

Thank you for your reply. The tutorial you provided is a very good and comprehensive one, however it is not what I require. Through my limited scripting knowledge, I believe that the language in use in the source code provided is HTML and JAVA. All I need to do is add some simple coding to save the entered values of the already existing form(to which I provided the source) into preferably some database or otherwise to my email, and not to reprogram the entire form usisng PHP. If I wanted to make a brand new form from scratch, the source you provided would be useful, but my skills are very limited to be able to integrate PHP with the already existing form.

conor

well I'm sorry but you are going to have to rewrite the form to save the values as far as I know. I would recommend using PHP and MySQL to save the values to a database. I will write this for you, based around your current form. I'll do it later tonight when I get home.

Just to note I doubt that their using Java - you probarbly mean JavaScript.