how to make two <div columns the same height

playsunday

I have two columns in the main body of my site..I don't want the height fixed because content changes all the time, I just want the shorter of the two columns to extend to the same height as the longer one,,anyone help..I am sure it a short piece of code, I just don't know what
Thanks

Last edited:

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can use the div with content to stretch out the one without text, try this:

HTML:
<div class="wrapper">
   <div id="col2">
      <div id="col1">text for column one...</div>
      Text for column two....
   </div>
</div>

Use a wrapper div to hold these, because you will want to use float clearing on the col2 div. The div for col2 will automatically grow to the same height as col1 because it CONTAINS it. When you do have content for col2 just add it in after the col1 div.

CSS
HTML:
div.wrapper{
width:400px /*this is the width of both columns*/
margin:0 auto; /* set the margins for top/btm L/R, i have it set to center in the page with no top/btm margin */
}

div#col2 {
width:100%;
overflow:hidden; /* width/overflow = float clearing */
text-align:justify;
padding:0; /* use this to pad your text for col2 */
margin:0;
font:normal 10pt Arial; /* select your font weight, size, family */
color:#fff;
}

div#col1 {
float:left;
margin:0;
padding:0; /* set the padding for text in col1 */
font:normal 10pt Arial; /* select your font weight, size, family */
color:#fff;
text-align:justify;
}

This should do the trick...this is just of the top my head but i have done this stuff many times. If you get stuck just ask.

Good luck.

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member

gkumar

in the following code I would like the div with 'y' to match the height of the div with the 3 'x's.
<div style="border: 0px solid red; margin: 0px 0px 5px; overflow: hidden;">
<div style="border: 1px solid rgb(129, 11, 0); margin: 0px; padding: 5px; background-color: rgb(30, 23, 22); width: 312px; float: left;">
x<br/>x<br/>x
</div>
<div style="border: 1px solid rgb(129, 11, 0); margin: 0px; padding: 5px; width: 312px; background-color: rgb(30, 23, 22); float: right;">
y
</div>

Last edited: