How to Make a Search Engine

CatHunter

I have never built any type of web page and would like to know what it takes to build a fairly advanced search engine. It is a business idea of mine to build this search engine that has different types of products. How much work does it take to build such a search engine? Would I have to know how to code? Or would I have to hire somebody to do it?

I would also like to know how coding relates to building web pages. There's obviously template layouts available for basic web pages. What kind of page features require coding skills to build?

iniedrauer

Would you have to know how to code?

Good sir, between multiple servers, url resolver, indexer, sorters, and probably a million other things I don't know because I'm not a software engineer, that question is a mighty understatement.

A true search engine is not just a website.

leroy30

lol @ iniedrauer - was thinking the same thing.

If we simplify his/her question perhaps we can move a step forward in resolving this for them.

"would I have to know how to create a search engine?" - yes.

Ok poking fun asside.. I can reccommend a great book to getyou started. It's called "the Google story". It will give you a good insite into the process the Google guys went through.

After you've read it you'll be able to sit back and think "H&%y F&#k"! Then decide if you think you've got what it takes to learn what you'll need to learn to achieve this.

OR

If you've got the dough it would take to commision someone else to do it for you!

CatHunter

Okay that's what I thought. Thanks for clarifying. I was thinking of something similar to Amazon's store index. How big and difficult is that type of search engine? Or is it that not even considered a search engine?

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you guys for responding, so I didnt need to bash my head!
No you dont need to know code.
The "magic button" we developers push to create a website, as you know, its THAT simple.
To make a search engine its simply shift+"magic button"
& you dont need to read that book, all they did to make google was ctrl+shift+"magic button" (sneaky buggers, wish I had thought of that first!)
Honestly though, its nice to dream, but try to crawl, before you run (or line up for the 100m sprint in the olympics)...
Try to make a little website. Build a search function into that...