How to host a website by myself for the first time.

Please can someone direct me on how to host a website? I can design but haven't hosted before. I just designed a site for my elder sister & want to host it for her. Pls can you guide me. She wants it online by sunday. She wants it to be hosted on her own computer. Thanks

chrishirst

Staff member
She wants it online by sunday.
Ok then so it is now Wednesday afternoon (GMT) and you want someone to teach you how to set up a webserver, secure it from attackers, hackers and spammers by Sunday.

And how much were you thinking of paying for getting five or more years experience in three days??

She wants it to be hosted on her own computer.
Does your sister have a fractional T1 line with a fixed IP to her "own computer"???

Because ADSL is fine for a testing and development server but NOT for production servers, been there, tried it, gave it up as a bad idea. Also, many ISPs block inbound port 80 (HTTP) on their 'domestic' services to prevent people doing just what you are proposing.

Edge

Please can someone direct me on how to host a website? I can design but haven't hosted before. I just designed a site for my elder sister & want to host it for her. Pls can you guide me. She wants it online by sunday. She wants it to be hosted on her own computer. Thanks

OK - what you do is this. Does her computer have a cd rom drive? If so just get the website off your computer, burn it onto a cd rom and then stick the cd rom into her computer and hey presto she's got your website on her computer. If people want to view the website they come into the same room as her computer and look at it that way. This is way more secure than putting it online (well for the website but maybe not her house). That way she can even give a cup of tea to visitors to her website, and probably cut a few deals too while people are there in person.

To advertise the website she could put an advert in the local equivalent of yellow pages but for the website address she just puts her house address.

Private-I

yeah, you should perhaps look around for free webhosting companies. They will probably put a banner at the top of the page. Or pay a few $$$ a year to have it hosted.

To host a website of your own you are looking at buying a server ($500) and a copy of Microsoft IIS web server or Server 2008 R2 (another $100). You can't host it on your home PC, not to mention as soon as you turned your PC off the website would go down.

Frank

In Nigeria, hosting will probably be much more expensive, relatively speaking. But technically speaking, there is a *whole* lot involved. Apart from the matters others have already described, a hosting computer must be online 24/7/365, via a broadband connection.

Compared to those costs, the cost of hosting is peanuts.

Last edited: