how to build a downloader?

wizcow

Hi

I have some files on my web site that I want users to be able to download.

Right now I have text that is linked to the file. The user has to right click on the text and then select save-as.

I was hoping to be able to build something a little more elegant.
Like having a download box pop up, just like when you download something from TuCows or from Microsoft.

Thanks
Tom

waleedfi

Hi

I have some files on my web site that I want users to be able to download.

Right now I have text that is linked to the file. The user has to right click on the text and then select save-as.

I was hoping to be able to build something a little more elegant.
Like having a download box pop up, just like when you download something from TuCows or from Microsoft.

Thanks
Tom

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean by text linked to the file, do you mean links? You haven't mentioned what server side scripting language you're using, ASP.NET, PHP .. etc .. I can help you if you're using ASP.NET .. you also haven't mentioned what kind of files you have, text files, pdf, executables (*.exe) .. etc

Last edited:

The Lion

Not a problem...

I'm also not sure what you're asking, but I will advise this:

All you need do is set the link to the actual file. Once your visitor clicks on the link, the file should download automatically. For example, your link would be set with a path as follows:

<a href="http://www.yoursite.com/docs/filename.pdf">My File</a>

I'm not exactly sure how you might have this set up if a popup box for the download is not already being activated upon visitors clicking your text. If you're cool with HTML editing, simply use the line provided above and edit accordingly, else please provide a link to the page and some of us in here can check it out for you and help you along.

Good luck, friend,
The Lion.

The very best in custom web design...