How much should I charge for this website?

henrikjt

Hi Everyone,

I created this site for a family member but they still want to pay me. How much should I charge for this? I edited all the photos and used a site template that I altered.

I will give them a discount, but just wondering what would be a fair price to charge a regular customer.

http://thorenfeldtconstruction.com/

gumspitter

First of all I would like to say I love the site and its layout. I don't have a response about the price but I do have a few questions?

Where did you receive template? Was it free?
Was slideshow part of this template or did you use your own script?
Who do you use for hosting? My current host does not support contact forms.

The reason I am asking I am in the middle of designing a site and would like to address some issues I have with it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

www.mmiconstruction.net

Frank

The fact that you used a template shouldn't make a difference, unless the client came up with it.

The price I would charge would be between 750 and 2000 dollar, depending on the following matters:

* Is a DIY editing module supplied?
* How much photo editing was needed?
* Did the client give you carte blanch regarding the design or was it designed according to specific wishes? If the latter, did the client make a precise drawing of how exactly he wanted it, or was a lot of tweaking necessary?

I would, however, make the menu fixed at the top, and probably make the code leaner and simpler. You are now invoking no less than six external style sheets and four external jQuery javascripts. Also, the photos are a little slow in loading. And you have two validation errors.

Last edited:

usernamenone

I charge by the hour and give my friends and relatives a 50% discount. I then charge the other % off to Advertising.

Good luck dealing with relatives. Charge what you think you would pay for the site and not what a client would. Put it in your portfolio and be happy with your decision.

doug_eike

Working for friends and family is always a tricky proposition. If the family member or friend you're helping makes $xx per hour, I would start there. In this situation, it has nothing to do with the true value of your work. You just have to try to be fair under the circumstances.

doug_eike

Working for family members is always a tricky proposition. What you should charge has little to do with the true value of your work. I would suggest trying to match your hourly rate roughly with that of the person you're helping. For instance, if the person makes $20/hour, you could start there with the valuation of your work. Good luck with the touchy politics of working for family!

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Thats a nicely designed site.
If they are a family member, don't charge them a single cent.
If they insist, let them buy you a meal or something, but don't take cash.

che09

Thats a nicely designed site.
If they are a family member, don't charge them a single cent.
If they insist, let them buy you a meal or something, but don't take cash.

Such a noble thing to do! Anyways, you can take his advice. By the way I like the site,it's neat and photos are really captivating!

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
ian speaks wisely.

if family. no $. only end in tears. always...

lesson? dont make sites for family.