How much do you think?

masada

I had a client that I was doing some work for and they were looking for a CMS so they could make minor text changes themselves. I found CMSMS that worked well and was free, which was good considering they are a volunteer organization with a small budget. They were also looking for a re-design of the site.

site link for reference is here

Essentially, I re-did the site from scratch. I made templates, graphics, threw in some JavaScript for rotating advertisements and tweaked the CMSMS so it worked better with their needs. I have probably invested around 40-50 hours in it off and on over the course of several months.

I would like to get a consensus of what something like this would cost. They are asking for a bill now and I had not done freelance work for a while now so I’m not sure what to charge them.

Any (serious) suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

masada

Like I said, I haven't done it in a while.

I will say it was a fair amount of work considering the results. Basically, I re-did everything.

A&C

With the amount of hours you have put in and the actual job i would not charge anything less than $1300.

I would also advice that you agree on a set amount before proceeding with the job and that you take some sort of guarantee.

Kind regards
Ben

anna

I'm glad I saw your post! I just submitted my photos to Getty and I'm hoping to be approved, which is unlikely. I, too, would like to know of experiences with various stock photo affiliate programs.

Uh oh, submitting your images to Getty is not good. They take the rights away from you and use them in any capacity they choose. You should do research on photo agencies and retaining rights to your own work.

Oh, and this thread wasn't about photo agencies.

d a v e

why didn't you talk about the budget at the beginning??

i agree with the price estimates above, but it doesn't matter what it cost you, only what they are wiling to pay.

i would start with the figure that it would cost for a normal business requiring that amount of hours (i mean really 40-50 hours at around 40 dollars an hour would be approximately 2,000 USD...) and say that's how much it would cost them IF they weren't a volunteer org. Then ask what there buget is and keep in mind a minimum figure you would like from it all and then sit down and talk with them

you may end up having to take a big hit on this price wise... ;)

incidentally it's a nice site, though you have lots of solid colour images (e.g. their logo) that would be better saved as gifs or 8-bit pngs and don't forget your alt attributes.

Last edited: