How many of us from the States?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Now there is a countdown to Hurricane Rita, hope that doesnt do much damage or somehow steers off course away from land or dies down or something like that.

StephanieCordray

No kidding... I can only hope the steering pressures do what the weather people are saying. Where it's sitting right now, it could so easily take a sudden right turn. I suppose in the abstract that wouldn't be bad since those areas are already basically destroyed but, heck, there are still people there and they've been through enough.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Something strange with all of these storms. I dont know the size of the dike in New Orleans, but I was surprised to see that they hadnt been able to fix it in time. I guess nobody knew another storm may be on its way.

StephanieCordray

Unfortunately there are a lot of things about a lot of things that no one knows about New Orleans. It's a strange place any day of a year but this is beyond the understanding of most of us in the rest of the states. Trust me, I've lived there before and was never so glad to leave a place as I was there.

State autonomy prevented a lot of what could have happened in the beginning for one thing. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal but in this instance it became a big deal because they made it such a political thing before the flood was finished filling the city and the state was ill prepared to handle the crisis. It's going to take a long time to sort out what happened there. We may never know all the facts.