how important are directory for seo?

grandestkind

I disagree. Directory's certainly have their value, but they are by no means critical.

I totally agree on this. But I can't say it's unimportant. It's just that there even better avenues in which you can promote your site. You don't have to spend most of your time to it.

sitebuilder

I think directories used to give alot better effects in google but the market is flooded with them now and most of them mean very little to google (but I doubt they mean nothing). There are obviously some directories that mean a whole lot, the most important two are the yahoo directory (kind of expensive - up to you) and the DMOZ directory (this is googles own directory and it is very selective and hard to get into) if you can get in either of those it will noticeably help your pagerank.

mrandrei

It's a decent method, but it really depends on the quality of web directories where you submit and list your site. Choose the ones that are authority sites, have good PR and reputation.

che09

Directory plays a role in any online marketing. Although,it might not be a powerful tool but,as long as it helps then go for it!

Quasha

It does not help you wth page rank directly. But it helps you to generate huge traffic and this make good rank indirectly.

Directory submission is best for your site backlinks and traffic.
Directory submission helps in permanent listing in another websites.

geetikamalik

Follow these points regarding the Directory Submissions
1. Search Directories which are of High Quality - Have High DA and PA
2. During Submission, in Title use Brand Name
3. If you are Submitting 20 Directories then write 20 Different -Different Descriptions.
4. The Description is Unique and of high Quality because Content is the King.