How high is the gas near you?

NT61

Banned
This is unbelievable. Today, the gas has increase to $1.02 a litre...god, I hope yours is lower

What is yours

StephanieCordray

I suppose our equivalent would be .60/liter although we don't count it as liters. I know what gasoline costs in Europe so I really don't understand how Americans can complain about gas prices in comparison... but they do it anyway. I suppose it's a matter of what you are used to since it has gone up quite a bit since last year and the year before.

NT61

Banned
No. see, we are in Canada and in Quebec, the gas is 1.02 a litre. I Ontario, it's about .60-70 a litre

DesignFest

NT61 said:
No. see, we are in Canada and in Quebec, the gas is 1.02 a litre. I Ontario, it's about .60-70 a litre

Heh... I WISH!!! It's more like 88-96 cents a litre here in Toronto, Ontario.

NT61

Banned
DesignFest said:
Heh... I WISH!!! It's more like 88-96 cents a litre here in Toronto, Ontario.

Still, it's less pricy.

Right now, it's $1.17...and it went for a few hours at $2.19 a litre

StephanieCordray

There are reasons why gas should be cheaper in the states since we supply a large quantity of what is sold in the markets here but I haven't seen that reflected in the recent pricing per gallon... I think it's still slightly lower than European prices but not by much.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I think the sooner we start using alternatives, the better.
I saw a recent documentary where they showed how USA and China were competing over oil rights and how it could possibly one day result in conflict.
And most of these countries USA/China were supplying them with weapons in exchange for oil rights, especially some African countries.

StephanieCordray

Yes, we pay by the gallon in the US but considering that we supply the greater portion of our own oil and gasoline you'd think it would be a lot cheaper than it is... but i suppose given the prices you all are stating the ratio of cost isn't much different than what it was before our prices started going higher.

I'm with ian... as soon as we start using alternatives we'll be a lot better off.

ewomack

What Ian said is very true. There remain two huge oil hungry superpower countries to compete over the miniscule oil and gas resources left on the earth. Whoever controls that will probably remain the superpower, and the liklihood of wars over that remaining puddle just increases day by day. I've read that the first showdown will probably happen in the Pacific. Right now the US controls all waters up to the coast of China. Apparently China doesn't care much for this, and is currently busy preparing its Navy to obtain more control of its coastal waters. The US's "no compromise anywhere anyhow" attitude probably won't help things here.

Apparently solar had a lot of possibilities, but many US oil companies bought up the copyrights for solar technology (again, I read this somewhere), and they continue to sit on them. As long as oil interests rule the US, we'll probably remain stuck in the gas/oil guzzling economy. They simply have too much to lose right now to convert to alternatives.

Lastly, gas sits around $2.70 a gallon (as of yesterday). But $4.00 a gallon doesn't sound too far off.

gouko

Theres nothing we can do..its a worldwide scenario....if the prices continue to rise in world market.. oil companies will also adjust their prices... its business... i hope OPEC could come up a solution on how they can help reducing oil prices.