How does WordPress fit into the big picture of web design?

eindoofus

I'm having a hard time understanding WordPress. Where does the line between HTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP end and WordPress begin? I heard that WordPress allows you to design websites and allows the clients to update them, but to what degree?

How much control does one surrender by using WordPress? And how much can the client update on there own? If you use WordPress do you need to use it for the entire site or is it possible to only integrate the blog aspect of it?

BTW, I'm a novice programmer with a basic understanding of the web design and web development process who would like to eventually learn the coding aspect of both.

ishie

The only way to find out is by trying to use it yourself. Wordpress' platform is easy to use and learn especially if you have basic knowledge on html and css. It's not rocket science.

Andrew23

If you look at websites selling on flippa.com, you will see TONS of them are wordpress powered. Wordpress makes your site more valuable when you go to sell it. Wordpress is one of the major keywords for the websites being sold on there.

Paultbk

I have found theat wordpress sites incorporate alot of php, html and css, especially if you are wanting to do something different. I develop wordpress sites for a lot of clients and most of the time, a straight blog site does not suffice. There are some great themes for a beginner. If you are a novice though, don't go with a ready made theme, start from scratch and build your self a simple theme (if you need a blank one to start from let me know). It can be a frustrating process but wp is a very powerful platfrom once you got the hang of it.