How does this website run so smoothly?

magictree

http://2advanced.com. The website is pretty cool, but having never developed a site in Flash, I can only wonder this: how does this website run so smoothly?

I am under the impression that Flash sites tend to be more memory-costly than other sites. I put in a Flash animation on a site, and the whole thing slowed down dramatically. Now I'm certain the animation wasn't optimized (it was a one-time thing), but this beast is HUGE! I've checked it on FF, IE6-8. I mean, IE6 ran it without skipping a beat.

I suppose the question simply, which of these is true?

1. The site in particular is very optimized
2. Flash websites are not as memory-hogging as I thought
3. I'm missing something entirely

Thanks in advance guys. I want to start getting into making Flash sites, and I'm trying to gather as much information as possible.

krymson

Here might be some insight for you...

1. More than likely the content is imported via XML. This is the way flash is more SEO friendly.

2. Their site is preloaded dynamically by javascript so it loads quicker, its not embeded on their html web page...

3. Their site is 100% unsecure cause i was simplt able to add "/images" to the end of their domain name and was able to access their directory system... very poor job for security purposes

answer any of your questions?

magictree

Hey krymson,

I think #2 might be the sole answer. I haven't compared displaying flash via javascript vs embedding in terms of efficiency, so I can't really say.

And points #1 and #3 were really interesting. I noticed their /includes was just as easily accessible.

Still cool looking site.

Thanks krymson.

SawyerrKen

#3 is as a result of directory listing being left enabled on the web server. The apache signature is also left on so we know exactly what OS is running and the version of apache running. Serious security threat but I dont think that has any effect on the load time of the site.