How do I make images look like photographic prints, with borders

wbmkk

Hi

How do I create an illusion of photographs stuck on top of a background, such as a corkboard or something similar. I want the images to look like photographic prints, with a white border having been stuck to the background with a single drawing pin at random, ie not all lined up horizontally.

I did a short Photoshop course about a year ago and managed to do it then, but I don’t have Photoshop at home and anyway I forget how I did it.

I do have Paint.net. as well as Inkscape

thanks

Last edited:

d a v e

looks like they're aren't many paint.net users :) including me!

but a quick look (in Paint-net) -
1. open the first image you want to use - Size it to the correct dimensions - either image resize and/or use the rectangle select (Tools panel) make a selection then crop it (Image >Crop to selection

3. now if you want a true polaroid style image then the bottom white edge should be larger than the others, but otherwise you can use a uniform white edge.
Image > Canvas size - add say 10px to width and height and make sure middle is selected for placement

4. increase the canvas size again - this time to about 1.5 times the image size so you have room to rotate it.
Layers > Rotate/zoom rotate the image (i assume you want to?)

5. Layers > Rotate/zoom and rotate the image
6. find a pin (i took mine from here - check the terms of use) and dragged and dropped it from my desktop (where i saved it to) and placed it as a new layer
7. with the image of the pin selected select the circle at the corner of the bounding box (grey rectangle around the image) and with SHIFT pressed down resize the pin and move it to the right place
8. make a rectangle selection (tools panel) around the images - doesn't matter if it's not exact then Image > Crop to selection
9. Save as a native paintnet file FIRST then File > save as Png, press Save and then from the following dialogue box choose 32-bit
10. once you have done this for each photo then you add them to one big background in a new file or on your web page ;)

my files are here http://gekkoweb.com/stuff/photo-pinned/ the source files, paint file and final png

EDIT: if you download the dropshadow plugin in improves the effect a little http://paint.net.amihotornot.com.au/Features/Effects/Plugins/Stylize/Drop_Shadow/

e.g. http://gekkoweb.com/stuff/photo-pinned/corkBoard.jpg

Last edited:

d a v e

now if you want a true polaroid style image then the bottom white edge should be larger than the others, but otherwise you can use a uniform white edge.
Image > Canvas size - add say 10px to width and height and make sure middle is selected for placement

lol your post has been reported as spam :)

It would be better if you get in touch with your php skills once again.. not only will it be helpful for you in the future, you might be able to learn more..

wbmkk

Thank you for the replies.

I eventually worked it out myself, though did the shadow a different way. Just a grey box put in the background with a blurred edge. It worked, but I'll download the plug-in you suggest.

Last edited:

printchesco

here's always a way to work around small obstacles such as these. Even without a tutorial and without knowing the "proper procedures", anyone with some decent fiddling skills can make something work with the use of any software out there.

Diversus

In Photoshop you can select the whole image and go to Select > Select All, then Select > Modify > border and set the width of border in Pixels (say 20 pixels) then Select the paint bucket and fill the outside edge with the colour of your choice.