How do I get the icon before my web address?

KristiB

A lot of site have their logo or icon before the http:// part of their web address. Can anyone tell me how to do it please?

The Lion

How to Make a 'Favicon' for Your Website

What you're looking for is called a 'favicon', which is short for 'favorites icon'. Essentially mini-logos, favicons are cool because they dress-up the address bar alongside your URL while visitors are checking out your site, and they act as a quick-search when someone adds you to their favorites. The programs you'll need to implement a favicon on your website is the Microsoft Windows' 'Paint' program (which can be found by clicking 'Start', 'All Programs', Accessories), an '.ico' converter, and this line of code, which is simply added to the header section of every page of your website:

<link rel="icon" href="http://www.yoursite.com/pathtoimage.ico">

With that said, all you need to do next is create an image in your image editor (in this case, 'Paint') and save it as a '.png' file. Then upload your .png file into one of the converters found on any of the following websites:

Convertico.com
Favicon Editor
CoolUtils.com

Once you've converted your image, upload the favicon to your server and set the path in the <link> code to coincide with the file's location. There's been some issues with favicons showing up on different browsers, so keep in mind that you may have to experiment a little with variations of the <link> code before you actually get it to work (click the 'favicon' link above for more info).

Good luck, friend,
The Lion.

P.S
If you have any problems, try it without the line of code. I got a favicon to work on a website for Connecticut fitness trainers by simply naming the file 'favicon.ico'. It seems that most browsers will actually look for a favicon file to display by default. The code line above is in case you feel it's important to change the name of the file. Also, check me out sometime if ever you need to outsource some custom web design work or would like to sell some of your own work in my new custom websites showroom. Charge what you want and post it for sale. Or, join my free business directory when your site's all done. Priority listings are first-come, first-served for each category.

Last edited:

laffe

Wow. I have been looking for this answe as well.
Cool.

Thanks for the easy to follow explenation.

Leif-Harald