How do I get the favicon to work?

omglookitsagoat

I'm using a mac, so I can't use certain software unless it's mac compatible. I don't think I can use irfanview on a mac. Does anyone know some free software that can convert to a .ico?

I did a search online and found this tutorial that said to create a .png and then rename the file extension to .ico and it would work. I tried that, but it only seems to work in certain browsers. It works in firefox, google chrome, and opera, but not ie or safari. Does anyone know why or how to fix this? I assume maybe it would work better if I used a different method/software to convert the file.

The favicon I'm talking about is at firedrakeconsultancy.com

(I'm still working on the design of the site. I have some better fonts for the title picked out and better info for the home page.)

omglookitsagoat

Thanks. Does it take a while for browsers to recognize it when you recently added a favicon? I tried adding a favicon I made the same way to another site a few minutes ago and it doesn't show up. I'll try the link you gave me and see if it works.

Last edited:

omglookitsagoat

I just tried the generator you linked and it still doesn't seem to show up in safari or ie for some reason.

edit: Oh I think I know why. Thanks for the link.

edit 2: nope. still doesn't work...

edit 3: oh ok. it takes a few days according to the link.

Last edited:

notarypublic

Is it working, now?

It took me a while to figure out what was wrong with mine, but I had put a leading slash in the filepath :p

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try this:

1. Grab a free trial of Photoshop
  2. Grab this free plugin and add to plugins folder: http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/
  3. Open Photoshop
  4. Create a 16x16 image
  5. Save as "ICO (Windows Icon)"
  6. Add the .ico file to the root of your site directory
  7. In your index html file, add this to the head of the doc:
HTML:
<link href="favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon"/>

It will show up immediately.

Last edited:

d a v e

Try this:

1. Grab a free trial of Photoshop
  2. Grab this free plugin and add to plugins folder: http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/
  3. Open Photoshop
  4. Create a 16x16 image
  5. Save as "ICO (Windows Icon)"
  6. Add the .ico file to the root of your site directory
  7. In your index html file, add this to the head of the doc:
HTML:
<link href="favicon.ico" rel="shortcut icon"/>

It will show up immediately.

that's no different to using the online generator except for all the hassle of downloading and installing the trial. there's no reason why it would should up any quicker than using the online method, downloading the .ico to the root and linking to it ;)

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's no different to using the online generator except for all the hassle of downloading and installing the trial. there's no reason why it would should up any quicker than using the online method, downloading the .ico to the root and linking to it ;)

Perhaps, but the install is not that treacherous, geez. :p Plus you have much more options/tools at your disposal with Ps. But hey to each their own.