How do I get my divs to fill up the entire body

Glenn

I am trying to get 3 divs to fill up an entire body tag. I have been changing lots of specs but I can never get them to fill up 100%. I need the outer divs to be no smaller than 185px because of images. How do I get the middle one to fill up the rest of the page? Here is what I have right now, though it has changed a lot and I guess I will continue to change it.

Code:
.left-side {
    float: left;
    width: 16%;
    min-width: 185px;
    }

.main-div {
    width: 68%;
    }

.right-side {
    float: right;
    width: 16%;
    min-width: 185px;
    }

I have googled it but i guess I don't know exactly what to google.

Last edited:

ReadOnly

I just threw this into an empty page and it worked the way you described. Not sure why it is not working you.

Analyst101

you could put it all your divs inside a wrapper. Like this:

<div id="wrapper">
<div id="topMenu">
<!-- menu items -->
</div>

<div id="content">
<!-- content -->
</div>
</div>

then in your style sheet assign the width of the wrapper to the total width of your page:

#wrapper {
width:800px;
}

#topMenu {
width:800px;
height:200px;
}

hope this helps

Glenn

What I want is for the left and right divs to stay at 185px and the middle div to adjust as the window adjusts. I just now added this to my main(middle) div.

Code:
.main-div {
	position: absolute;
	left: 185px;
	right: 185px;
	}

But now my problem is that the divs below it are adjusting up into my main div. I see my footer inside my main div.

Glenn

What I want is for the left and right divs to stay at 185px and the middle div to adjust as the window adjusts. I just now added this to my main(middle) div.

Code:
.main-div {
	position: absolute;
	left: 185px;
	right: 185px;
	}

But now my problem is that the divs below it are adjusting up into my main div. I see my footer inside my main div.
I figured out what was happening here. I had my body tag set to 100%. I took that out and everything else is ok. Not understanding why 100% =/= 100%.