hover buttons

Steve_essex

What is the best way to insert buttons that change on roll-over. I use frontpage, not the number 1 choice by a lot of people but i like it. I have tried inserting some of the buttons that are incorporated into that programme, but they wont show up properly when i try and upload them. I dont know if you have to upload another file aswell though?? I have heard that you do because i think they use javascript.

I have also used fireworks to create them before but that takes ages and they are very basic looking.

Is there a programme that anybody knows that is quick, easy and looks good.

Thanks. -Steve

Kiwiberry

the best solution for you is to use cascading style sheet

BWD, why does your answer not suprise me? I think CSS works for most situations, but it's a far cry from being the best solution for everything.

If you go to hotscripts.com, they have a lot of button making scripts including java, and many others. If you want to use CSS, **I hate to admit** it may be easier for you. It doesn't take long to setup, and is fairly straight-forward.

StephanieCordray

The buttons use javascript but they can be plunked right into the page, script and all. They will take up a lot of space and the spiders won't like your pages as much with it in there but unless you need to worry a great deal about search engine friendliness then it's not necessarily a bad thing.

What you have to do is export the html from fireworks, images, script, and all into it's own page. The few times I use fireworks for this purpose I typically just name it menu. html and place it in the same folder with the rest of the site. once you have your menu.html file you can include it in frontpage... whereever you are choosing to place your buttons.. I recommend using a table and cells for this.

Barring that, you could do as BWD has suggested and use cascading style sheets. The advantage of using a style sheet is that the code will be in that file which will be called up by a single line of command between your <head> </head> tags instead of in the code of your page. However, you would need some familiarity with cascading style sheets to accomplish it.

Steve_essex

Thanks

Thank you for your advice everyone. To be honest, i have no idea how to use css or what it exactly is. I have been to numerous sites and i found crsystal button that allows you to save the mouseover buttons as .GIF's. Will these work as normal rollovers?? Im not bothered if they animate when you push the button 'down', i just want it to change when it is 'rolled over'.

SiteExpress

If you still want to use the buttons in FrontPage, you can do it easily. When you use the ones that FrontPage creates for you, it saves all 3 rollover images in a file. Just find that file, and upload it. The images will be called button 1, button 2, button 3...and so on. After that, you have to upload the little .js file that FrontPage creates. It will be in the parent directory, and will most likely be called simply javascript.js. That is all that is needed for the FrontPage button feature.