Hosting My Own Blog

rka81

Just a quick one.... (Well maybe!)

I have a site that I want to add a blog to but I am not sure which is the best route to take and am hoping you guys have some views:-

1.) Sign up and use one of the established blogs sites out there - not really an option as I dont want the whole mynewblog.blogger.com url as i have my own domain.

2.) Again, go for the establish blog site route but i believe you can do a FTP option where you change the DNS of your domain so it is you actual url that you own. I dont fully understand this as I already have things currently on my site (shopping basket etc) and dont want the sole purpose of the site to be a blog so not sure if this is possible.

3.) Install my own blog using some of the software out there - tho am concerned that this, as great as they are, wont have all the cool stuff/add ons as the established blog sites....

Hope that all made sense and hope there are some views out there.

If you have/are hosting your own blog, i would be interested in your views and which ones your are using.

Thanks

joe

I think the best thing for you to do is to get a blog on one of those established blog site and then get yourself your own url and do a masked forward so the only thing the client sees is the url not the mynewblog.blogger.com. I know yahoo provides a very easy way to do this with their domain purchase.

ian

Administrator
Staff member
I would use option 3, use wordpress and host it using your own domain. Long term it is the best option.

suz

The trouble with hosting it yourself is the constant upgrading. I think the ftp option is the best.

wetgravy

it really depends on what you want. I have a whole range of blog scripts that i would use for any number of choices. In general wordpress is probably your best bet, but most of it is just comparisons to what you want and what works best for you. personally i prefer kubeblog since it is simple and has a great admin area, and there are a few others that stand out.