Hosting - best bang for the buck

morph1

Hi all,

I am just wondering , could someone recommend a fairly inexpensive reliable hosting company that supports php and wordpress, I'm currently with IPAGE,
and I gotta say what a nightmare it has become.....
I have been with them for over a week and I must have had over 60 instances when their server shows error and fails to display my content.. it is very embarrassing...

I would appreciate your feedback, I am located in Canada so anything from Canada or US would do, except for IPAGE - stay away..... lol

thanks guys.

Edge

Hi all,

I am just wondering , could someone recommend a fairly inexpensive reliable hosting company that supports php and wordpress, I'm currently with IPAGE,
and I gotta say what a nightmare it has become.....
I have been with them for over a week and I must have had over 60 instances when their server shows error and fails to display my content.. it is very embarrassing...

I would appreciate your feedback, I am located in Canada so anything from Canada or US would do, except for IPAGE - stay away..... lol

thanks guys.
Well I'm guessing you're in the market for cheap shared hosting but looking for something that has more than just the usual complete lack of support. We used Dreamhost way back and they seemed OK.

However, are you sure error pages are not caused by the way you've set things up?

morph1

hey, thanks for the reply,
I am sure that was not on my behalf, it was just an experimental page with very little content on it, and the thing is there were times that it would load in acceptable 5 sec wait time and sometimes would take almost 30 seconds and not fully load still waiting for images to load and quite often it would show server error and the page would not load in at all.... so I am quite convinced that there was not enough bandwidth at times when their server was at its busiest , what ever it was its done and its over I got a full refund and looking at options, I am not looking for a gold platter for nothing, I just want something more reliable and functional, and I understand that problems do happen and I am aware and ok with that, however with Ipage there were unresolved issues for over 2 weeks and nothing happened to address them.
Still looking at available options , if anyone else would want to contribute and land me a hand that would be great.
I heard some good and bad things about hostgator ..., anyone ..

thanks !

Last edited:

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Most of my personal projects are on Hostgator. Haven't had any issues. I had WebHostingHub for a while. They were really good. No support for Ruby, and Python support is really basic. No "problems" with them though.

gingir

shows error and fails to display my content.. it is very embarrassing...

To be fair, that's not their fault, it's rather you that have to tune your application configuration

In any case if I were you I would opt for free hosting solutions.

Computer power is so cheap these days there is no point in paying for hosting any longer

Last edited:

Edge

In any case if I were you I would opt for free hosting solutions.

Computer power is so cheap these days there is no point in paying for hosting any longer

You're serious?
Ok, where shall I start...
If you go with free hosting here are just a few drawbacks
  • If it's free they have no commercial obligation to keep your site online
  • No tech support - so if your site goes down it stays down
  • No obligation to have backups
  • server will have a shite spec
  • bandwith will be choked
If your website is of importance to you, at the risk of sounding overly harsh, the idea of going with free hosting is lunacy.

Davidcooper

I would recommend 1and1 , they are reasonable cheap. I had used them to set up my blog and have been with them till this present day. I had no problems with them when I needed to contact them either, their support staff where very qualified to answer my questions.

morph1

thank you all,

I have gone with Hostgator and I'm very happy now,
so far it had been flawless and very reliable...

Cheers all !