Hosting Advice

wbmstrz

what do you guys recommend to show my client my work in progress if you do not have a server? This is my first client and I'm broke, so I'm looking for the cheapest option. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LouTheDesigner

The cheapest would be still images of the site, but the client may not like that.

If you are looking for a good hosting service, I would HIGHLY recommend Host Gator.

You get unlimited diskspace, unlimited bandwidth, and a shared SSL certificate for $4.95 per month.

I usually keep my clients' sites on a particular section of my site that nobody else knows the domain to. Once they pay, I transfer the files to their account. The best part is, every time I sign up a client with Host Gator, I get $50 via paypal, so it acts as a small monthly income if you get enough clients.

Matthew Wilson

As the above poster said, get some quick and cheap hosting.
HostGator is one of the biggest sites out there, so that's highly possible.

LouTheDesigner

Keep in mind, you gain money for referring people to host gator through their affiliate program.

Also, Host Gator was rated #4 in the top 50 Domain name and hosting providers according to the July 2010 issue of Website Magazine.

-Lou

vdsmedia

Install a free web server (wamp) and configure port forwarding in firewall/router so you can show the website by typing your external ip address in the browser.

GeneticOpera

Well, if you want hosting that's free and just to show clients your site then you might try http://www.webs.com/
It's REALLY easy to use and it's slow but it gets the job done and gettign started is something you can do easily and immediatly. I would not stick with them as a permanent site, since they overcharge, but it's a good place to start when you're broke. They want you to put an add on your site, but honestly the ads are easy to hide. So you might try them until you get the money for HostGator.

EDIT: I'm not sure about HostGator's claim of UNLIMITED anything, so be warned. UNLIMITED sounds like a gimmick and probably is unless you pay a lot more money.

Last edited:

getis

I've been using Hostmonster for a few years now. They offer an unlimited package for $5.95 per month where you can add as many websites as you want with their own domain names. they'll also pay you $65 per referral, or use your account to create the website for other clients and charge them the full amount yourself each year. If you get enough clients you can get a reasonable passive income from selling the hosting space.