Honest opinion of this web design and online store

Teuton

Hello,

Our site http://www.salonlabel.com reasons approx. 85 unique visitors daily. The store on our site, at http://www.salonlabel.com/store.html, receives about 50 unique visitors daily. It's been a few weeks and we still haven't managed to make a sale selling sample hair care products. Our regular private hair care line business is excelling as usual. What could possibly be turning potential clients away? Is it the design of our site? The design of our store? Etc.

Your honest opinions are appreciated!

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I was navigating the site, I noticed the following:

It's a bit of a pain to navigate. Both in Grid and List layout, the blocks are big. I have a fairly high resolution monitor, and I can only fit a couple products on screen at once. Table layout is closest to what would work for me, but there's no product image. To start, you might set that layout as the default, and put an image in it. I would also add a navigation to the left side that gets me to any part of the store from anywhere else.

Pretending, for a second, that the call-to-action button isn't there, accessing the store isn't readily apparent. I expected to see store functions under the products section, but didn't. I really didn't expect the "Samples" link to take me to the store, but it did. Had it been readily apparent that samples are what you sell, then I would have expected that.

The call-to-action button is a little underwhelming. It's small, the rounded corners are jagged, and there's no flair to it whatsoever.

To sum it up, it's a bit of a pain to get around. Hope I haven't been too harsh. ;)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
its the "design" (ie visual) side of the store, the "functionality" (ie the way it works, navigation), and the actual "coding" of the site. fail on all three.

If I saw that website today (which I did) I would not expect that it has just been launched. 700px width? who are you designing for, your grandma? no one uses 800x600 any more, try something like 960px wide. the extra space you'll have will help to lay it out better. the navigation menu is disgusting, sorry but it is and you've got orange, green, blue, purple, aqua and grey...as a colour set it really doesnt work.
agreed the store is difficult to find, and when you do it is very underwhelming. drag and drop shop? dont like that at all.

your site is built in tables. don't build in tables
your styles are inline and called style1, style2, style3 etc...this is bad form.

64 errors, 6 warnings when put through the validator (validator.w3.org) so you might want to fix them up too.

it needs to be clear and concise and make people want to buy from it. at the moment it doesn't...

mhack122

As I was navigating the site, I noticed the following:

It's a bit of a pain to navigate. Both in Grid and List layout, the blocks are big. I have a fairly high resolution monitor, and I can only fit a couple products on screen at once. Table layout is closest to what would work for me, but there's no product image. To start, you might set that layout as the default, and put an image in it. I would also add a navigation to the left side that gets me to any part of the store from anywhere else.

Pretending, for a second, that the call-to-action button isn't there, accessing the store isn't readily apparent. I expected to see store functions under the products section, but didn't. I really didn't expect the "Samples" link to take me to the store, but it did. Had it been readily apparent that samples are what you sell, then I would have expected that.

The call-to-action button is a little underwhelming. It's small, the rounded corners are jagged, and there's no flair to it whatsoever.

To sum it up, it's a bit of a pain to get around. Hope I haven't been too harsh. ;)

yes me here also its a pain to navigate the site and the font are too big....its not recommended in industry....

krymson

im gonna have to say its a good START but its definitely not finished, the text in the drop down menus is hanging out side the box, site is made in tables, at least you have a half ok color scheme, the font is boring and bland to me, over all it looks really poopooish im sorry.