Hi all - looking for advice, and opinions on website!

Bluelight

Hi all,

I'm just starting off in the freelance web design world, and am looking for advice and opinions.

First up, I would love to get some feedback on the website, www.bluelightsolutions.com.

How do you rate it? What can be improved? I'd love to hear your thoughts...

Thanks to all in advance, and looking forward to your feedback! :)

omglookitsagoat

Every page on your site basically just restates the same idea. I think there should be a more distinct difference between the content of each page. Also, the blue squarey graphic thing on the left looks a little awkward and takes up too much room. The text box on the right is also a little too small.

edit: I JUST noticed the tab at the top of the page. I think it's too hard to notice. Maybe you should make the contact info linked at the bottom of the page in your other nav buttons instead.

Last edited:

DHDdirect

Beautiful design.. I agree with omglookitsagoat in a way about the tab at the top. I don't think it should extend past the main border of your site in order to make it a bit more noticable.

Definately need more content if you want to pick up traffic from search engines.

Also you may want to look at preloading the images for smoother transitions on slower connections.

Hope that helps and good luck.

rickidoo

Interesting and striking design, but it doesn't show the user what you are capable of. It's hard just starting out, because you may not have many designs under your belt. But somehow, you need to give the user a sense of your design capabilities - by showing examples.

Just think about the competition - how many web design studios don't include samples of their work?

kohncreative

Agree with rickidoo. The first thing I look at on other design firms' sites are the portfolio. If you step back, at first glance, would someone be able to tell that you are a web design company? To me, no. I actually though you installed lighting of some sort. Initially, I don't care how long you've been in business, etc.,...I want to see what you are capable of. If I like what I see, then I get to learn more about you.

d a v e

to add to above:
your "hover to open" thing is very nice but you need to label it so people know what it is that can be opened i.e. that it's the contact form

preload the rollover images - they take too long to load and there is a gap waiting for them :(

increasing text by a notch or two means it breaks out the box and/or gets hidden by the menu buttons

no favicon