Help With Web Design Company Ideation

Slosha

My friend and I are beginning a new web design company. We are high school students looking to make some money and gain experience (doesn't look too shabby on a college resume either). Our design company is located at scorch-design.com and yes, I know the home page looks HORRIBLE right now.

Anyway, I basically have no understanding of any code as that in my friend's expertise. What I do have, however, is a vision and Photoshop representation of how I want things to look. I need a little guidance on what decisions to make on what route to go (all-flash site or bits and pieces of various code).

Here is my idea of what our homepage should be:

The problem with this is that in order to have a custom scroll bar, the blog area must be Flash (to my understanding). Would making that area Flash mean that that section of every page needs to be Flash as well? Also, in order to transition to other pages in the best way, I imagined the blog section fading away before the next page (one that doesn't need flash) loads. The ideal solution would be to have the capability of killing the flash file after it reaches 0% opacity and then loading the next page.

Perhaps a larger problem is my menu system:

I went for the whole "help wanted: pull these tabs off for the number to call" type feel. When the user mouses over a tab, I want that tab to be brought to the front (with no shadows over it):

Then when he mouses over another tab, I want that tab to go back to its original position and have the next tab be brought to the top. Furthermore, I imagined that when the user clicks on a tab, that tab is ripped off (doesn't necessarily need an animation) so that it is no longer click-able until the user navigates to another tab:

So the greatest question is: Does this site have to be 100% flash? And if not, how can I do it otherwise and how much skill will it require? I'm guessing the most efficient way to do this would be to go all out Flash. However, we want possible customers to not be put off by our homepage because it is "different than most websites" before they view our portfolio.

I know I'm asking a lot here, but any responses are EXTREMELY appreciated.

Graphical critiques are also welcome. THANK YOU!!

suz

Hi, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure the navigation can be achieved with CSS and background images without too many problems. I like the menu by the way, I think it will look great.

Slosha

But would it be easier to just make the whole site Flash? Also, the tabs are not perfect rectangles so i would need to break the menu into multiple rectangles that would load different pictures as I needed, perhaps to the point where it isn't possible in CSS.

Has anyone had any experience with a full-Flash web page that has any input about the site puting off customers?

trakwrecka

This is easy, simply put the background image without the text/nav.
Then use divs to insert allt he information you need.
For the nav bar i would suggest using image maps (search for tutorials on Google).
It would be a little hard for the nav bar to be linked since there are some overlapping ones.
OR>>>
Design the navbar using flash and put it in a div and place where you want.

rbxslvr

That's one of the coolest web sites I've seen. I think I need a friend who's as awesome in Photoshop as you. I also think that it would be good to do the menu in flash, but leave the rest of the page in something else (PHP, HTML? Whatever you guys are using).