Help with Mobile CSS - Adaptive Web Design

ITVince

Hi all, trying to do some basic CSS to adapt to mobile sites. I'd like to perform the following.

1. If the user is on their computer and visit my website, I want the background to be BLACK, and show a centered image call it 'image A'

2. If the user is on a mobile device and visit my website, I want the background to be WHITE, and show a DIFFERENT centered image call it 'image B'

Can someone please assist? I've tried using this resource http://www.alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design/ however I'm still not have any luck. :confused:

ccowan

When it comes to mobile sites, all you do really is just write a script that detects the mobile browser and directs the user to a completely different page which you designed specifically for mobile. The HTML and CSS is exactly the same.

anna

When it comes to mobile sites, all you do really is just write a script that detects the mobile browser and directs the user to a completely different page which you designed specifically for mobile. The HTML and CSS is exactly the same.

I am having a similar problem; when you say write a script, would you please explain a little more? I'm not too familiar with scripting. Thank you!

ccowan

Sure! If you place this script on your page it will detect a mobile browser and redirect them to a different page:

<?php
$useragent=$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];

if(preg_match('/android.+mobile|avantgo|bada\/|blackberry|blazer|compal|elaine|fennec|hiptop|iemobile|ip(hone|od)|iris|kindle|lge |maemo|midp|mmp|opera m(ob|in)i|palm( os)?|phone|p(ixi|re)\/|plucker|pocket|psp|symbian|treo|up\.(browser|link)|vodafone|wap|windows (ce|phone)|xda|xiino/i',$useragent)||preg_match('/1207|6310|6590|3gso|4thp|50[1-6]i|770s|802s|a wa|abac|ac(er|oo|s\-)|ai(ko|rn)|al(av|ca|co)|amoi|an(ex|ny|yw)|aptu|ar(ch|go)|as(te|us)|attw|au(di|\-m|r |s )|avan|be(ck|ll|nq)|bi(lb|rd)|bl(ac|az)|br(e|v)w|bumb|bw\-(n|u)|c55\/|capi|ccwa|cdm\-|cell|chtm|cldc|cmd\-|co(mp|nd)|craw|da(it|ll|ng)|dbte|dc\-s|devi|dica|dmob|do(c|p)o|ds(12|\-d)|el(49|ai)|em(l2|ul)|er(ic|k0)|esl8|ez([4-7]0|os|wa|ze)|fetc|fly(\-|_)|g1 u|g560|gene|gf\-5|g\-mo|go(\.w|od)|gr(ad|un)|haie|hcit|hd\-(m|p|t)|hei\-|hi(pt|ta)|hp( i|ip)|hs\-c|ht(c(\-| |_|a|g|p|s|t)|tp)|hu(aw|tc)|i\-(20|go|ma)|i230|iac( |\-|\/)|ibro|idea|ig01|ikom|im1k|inno|ipaq|iris|ja(t|v)a|jbro|jemu|jigs|kddi|keji|kgt( |\/)|klon|kpt |kwc\-|kyo(c|k)|le(no|xi)|lg( g|\/(k|l|u)|50|54|e\-|e\/|\-[a-w])|libw|lynx|m1\-w|m3ga|m50\/|ma(te|ui|xo)|mc(01|21|ca)|m\-cr|me(di|rc|ri)|mi(o8|oa|ts)|mmef|mo(01|02|bi|de|do|t(\-| |o|v)|zz)|mt(50|p1|v )|mwbp|mywa|n10[0-2]|n20[2-3]|n30(0|2)|n50(0|2|5)|n7(0(0|1)|10)|ne((c|m)\-|on|tf|wf|wg|wt)|nok(6|i)|nzph|o2im|op(ti|wv)|oran|owg1|p800|pan(a|d|t)|pdxg|pg(13|\-([1-8]|c))|phil|pire|pl(ay|uc)|pn\-2|po(ck|rt|se)|prox|psio|pt\-g|qa\-a|qc(07|12|21|32|60|\-[2-7]|i\-)|qtek|r380|r600|raks|rim9|ro(ve|zo)|s55\/|sa(ge|ma|mm|ms|ny|va)|sc(01|h\-|oo|p\-)|sdk\/|se(c(\-|0|1)|47|mc|nd|ri)|sgh\-|shar|sie(\-|m)|sk\-0|sl(45|id)|sm(al|ar|b3|it|t5)|so(ft|ny)|sp(01|h\-|v\-|v )|sy(01|mb)|t2(18|50)|t6(00|10|18)|ta(gt|lk)|tcl\-|tdg\-|tel(i|m)|tim\-|t\-mo|to(pl|sh)|ts(70|m\-|m3|m5)|tx\-9|up(\.b|g1|si)|utst|v400|v750|veri|vi(rg|te)|vk(40|5[0-3]|\-v)|vm40|voda|vulc|vx(52|53|60|61|70|80|81|83|85|98)|w3c(\-| )|webc|whit|wi(g |nc|nw)|wmlb|wonu|x700|xda(\-|2|g)|yas\-|your|zeto|zte\-/i',substr($useragent,0,4)))
header('Location: http://www.otherpage.com');
}

?>

ccowan

Sorry, you need this code at the top of the page before anything else:

<?php
ob_start();
?>

and this at the bottom of the page after everything:

<?php
ob_end_flush();
?>

and as far as the bracket goes that should be necessary but play with it and see if it works now.

anna

Sorry, you need this code at the top of the page before anything else:

<?php
ob_start();
?>

and this at the bottom of the page after everything:

<?php
ob_end_flush();
?>

and as far as the bracket goes that should be necessary but play with it and see if it works now.

Would this script go in the <head> tag? Thanks so much for the info!

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi all, trying to do some basic CSS to adapt to mobile sites. I'd like to perform the following.

1. If the user is on their computer and visit my website, I want the background to be BLACK, and show a centered image call it 'image A'

2. If the user is on a mobile device and visit my website, I want the background to be WHITE, and show a DIFFERENT centered image call it 'image B'

Can someone please assist? I've tried using this resource http://www.alistapart.com/articles/responsive-web-design/ however I'm still not have any luck. :confused:

What browser were you testing your site in? Also, can you post the head section of your page?

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can use a script to detect mobile devices, but you will need to check based on type. My suggestion would be by mobile OS (e.g. iOS, Android, etc)