help with managing website

zipadee

Hi,

I'm new to web design so forgive me if i ask dumb questions. :eek:

I'm in the process of building a website for a client. He wants to be able to update and make changes to the website himself once I've finished and put the website on his server. However, he only has a very basic IT knowledge. What I'm looking for is some kind of simple wysiwyg editor which i can upload and install on the server. It has to be easy to use - both for his sake and mine!

I've been told that cms is the way to do it but I don't really get how it works. When I've googled it the amount of stuff that's come up has kinda overwhelmed me :confused: Plus, the couple of systems I've looked at look waaay too techy for me. I'm reasonably proficient at html and css but i know very little php.

Can anyone help please?

suz

You could use something like wordpress, as it's easy to use and to change the way it looks. But I think it depends on what your client needs on his web site.

bcackerman

lol, read lots of stuff on cms, the place that your hosting from might provide CMS as well, or you can make him a blog and he can use an easy blog editor

Bobble

Hi, I would highly recomend this, just install to server than place the sode where you want the content and will be placed on site when updated online. Read site better description than me! but i use it and because only uses little code, you dont need to change the site design!!!

ITS GREAT!!

Joe.

zipadee

thanks for your help. Basically, all my client wants to do is update the text. For example, there's a job vacancies page which he would like to update regularly. It's really a fairly simple website consisting of about a dozen pages of just text and images.

Word-press looks nice and easy to use but is it blogging I want to do? Sorry, I really am new to all this! :( I've had a read through the documentation but I can't figure out whether it'd be ok for just updating text with. And can I use it with a site I've already built?

With regards to the Edit-Point program, do you have any experience of using it with windows and firefox? it's just that the developer seems to be suggesting it works best on linux.