Help With Delinquent Client...

webdesignguy

I'm in need of advice on what I should do here. My client currently has agreed and signed a contract stating website maintenance with a standard fee but, additional charges will occur if needing to create new images or new pages. This is all explained in a proposal and in the contract. Everyone was happy with the deal as I was cutting my prices very low to help out the non profit organization.

At the moment I've done numerous updates and created a new page and image (which was agreed and signed on the contract) and have sent over an updated invoice with the additional charges. And were talking mere dollars here. I was then asked to do another new page and image. I have not been paid yet. Now the client is refusing to pay and demands I do all work for the set standard price including the new work that is clearly stated numerous times in the contract that will be additional charges. They're accusing me of Nickel and Dimming. I've already put my prices very low as is and they're still attempting to ignore what was signed on the contract and take advantage of my services.

This is a nonprofit organization. At this point I want nothing to do with them. If they breach the contract by refusing to pay, what should I do? I'm looking at removing the work I've done, since they refuse to pay and walk away from this. I'll keep all documents and print screens in case they try to take me to court. I don't think going to small claims court is worth the effort plus they will use "non profit" organization as an advantage to make them look like the victim.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a simple answer for you:

*{display:none;}

:)

On another note, if you do have to go to court, they signed a contract. Being non-profit doesn't exempt them from contractual obligations. And, btw, in some states, like AK, a verbal contract is every bit as binding as a written one.

Last edited:

webdesignguy

Yeah I don't want to ruin the page for then they will take me to court of damages. But at this point I was planning on returning the page back to its original state and be done with it. Let a lone god help the next web master who has to not only put up with their unprofessional ways but, a nice big block of messy code... I could take them to court but not sure if I would get full amount of money. We signed a contract for one over a year.

Just cannot believe after all my hard work and professional communication, work ethics and price, they're actually trying to play "victim" and get free services done and disregard a contract ever being signed...

Sault Web Desig

I have been there before myself, the best bet is to just let it go and walk away from the project. Release to them only the materials they have paid for and hold onto all your records if they try to bad mouth you or make a claim that you did not finish the work you have your backup. But as for anything else sometimes you just have to tell them these are the conditions we agreed to now honor them or I walk. It sucks but its part of what we do, sometimes these things happen.

webdesignguy

I have been there before myself, the best bet is to just let it go and walk away from the project. Release to them only the materials they have paid for and hold onto all your records if they try to bad mouth you or make a claim that you did not finish the work you have your backup. But as for anything else sometimes you just have to tell them these are the conditions we agreed to now honor them or I walk. It sucks but its part of what we do, sometimes these things happen.

Yeah its a real shame =/ I've read some bad stories online so far as I'm doing my research on this. I just want to get this behind me and keep moving forward. Time is money..

leroy30

Every freelancer, contractor, or business owner crosses this path sooner or later.
My number one piece of advice is - DO NOT do any more work on it under promises of payment or more work down the track etc. ONLY do more work once they are up to date with all payment and then tell them that you are no longer giving them credit they have to pay in advance.

If they don't like it cut your loses - you're not likely to get much money out of this person by the sounds of it. You simply can't work for nothing everyone needs to put food on the table!

They may be non profit but that doesn't mean they get free service whenever they feel like!

webdesignguy

Every freelancer, contractor, or business owner crosses this path sooner or later.
My number one piece of advice is - DO NOT do any more work on it under promises of payment or more work down the track etc. ONLY do more work once they are up to date with all payment and then tell them that you are no longer giving them credit they have to pay in advance.

If they don't like it cut your loses - you're not likely to get much money out of this person by the sounds of it. You simply can't work for nothing everyone needs to put food on the table!

They may be non profit but that doesn't mean they get free service whenever they feel like!

Thank you so much for your post! =) I am waiting until tonight to hear back from them deciding if they're going to breach the contract or not. Can you believe that?.... If they do I will keep that email for my records and return the page to its original state and cut myself loose from this mess. They didn't pay a dime for any of the work done so far, so removing the work done I don't believe violates anything to take me to court for. The reason I decided to work first get payed later was because I originally created their site and was payed. The contract states payment is due immediately after signing and so far its 16days past due...

webdesignguy

Quick note: It's not as if the contract is ten pages or small print. Its one and half pages, easily read, explained. I stated in email to please read over carefully and that it includes minor updates for text and images they have to add but, does not include new pages, buttons, creating heading images. Those will be an extra charge and they even signed the Proposal and Contract showing the add-on of X amount for the page/images they wanted to have created. I've been nothing be great towards them and its just a real bad taste in my mouth to see them playing victim and making me out to be the bad small business. I just don't understand it.

leroy30

Yeah just return it to it's original state. They wouldn't be able to do you for anything malicious unless you pulled the whole website or deliberately messed it up for them.

kayla

I agree with what's been said so far. I would just tell the client you're no longer going to be doing any work for them, and walk away. You've done some additional work and haven't been paid, so you could say something along the lines of "The additional work that's already been provided will be free of charge, but unfortunately no new work will be completed" (this could be considered leaving on good terms, I guess...)

Sault Web Desig

Leroy is right just send it back to the state it was in before you started, dont leave anything that you are not paid for and there is nothing they can do, if anyone could take someone to court it's you not them however I would not advise it, better to just walk away unless its a huge amount of money court is not worth it.

thewebexec

Look in all honesty, removing work done i just going to complicate things. The way to handle it is the hardwall it. No extra work is done until all existing debts are paid. When responding to them, make sure it is all over email, and not over phone, make your response clear, concise and void of any emotion. The thing is, whilst it may be small dollars, they will take advantage when they can, and its great experience for later on when you're doing large projects. I still see businesses do this over 30k bills.

kayla

Look in all honesty, removing work done i just going to complicate things.

I agree with this. Don't think I'm calling you dumb here, but I know many people that would probably say "If you were dumb enough to do the changes without any cash up front, then you should leave them" (it's probably hard to get cash up front for small changes like that, but it's still what they'd say). Just make sure you don't do any additional work, even if they say "Fine, we'll pay you next week".

thewebexec

(it's probably hard to get cash up front for small changes like that, but it's still what they'd say). Just make sure you don't do any additional work, even if they say "Fine, we'll pay you next week".

Yea thats right, this is where the beauty of return work comes into play. If you've worked with a client before and they've been good to work with, then there is always room to bend the rules a bit.