Help Please

dangore

Hi, I am looking for some help if anyone can help me.

I can create websites in Dreamweaver to a high standard and someone has asked me to create a website for them so I told them I will create the designs and find out some information on how to update it when it needs updating. (Hence why I am here)

So basically what I need to know is how can I show my client how to update his website with ease??

His business is a website where he can let homes to people. (He does not make money from the website, just information really, pictures of the homes with a brief description)

I am going to create his "home" page, the "homes to let" page and the "contact us" page. The problem is with the "homes to let page" page. My plan for the "homes to let page" page is to put an image of the home to let with a little description. I know how to do this but if I want to add more houses to the page or remove houses to the page, how do I go about this once the website goes live?? Do I have to remove the page and upload the new one?? or can I just simply update it online from the hosting website??

Fireproofgfx

You would make all of your changes offline and then using a FTP (file Transfer Program like filezilla which is FREE) upload the new files and images and overwrite the old files.

Also if your client wants free reign to change text and or photos you can add a FREE CMS (content Management System) which allows you or your client to make any edits online with out screwing up the original layout of the site. Which is done by adding <div class="editable"></div> where you want to give them the ability to edit.

I hope this is what you were asking for.

dangore

Hi, if the website is uploaded to a server and has its own domain name. Then how does the CMS work? as soon as the client updates the website through the CMS will it be uploaded for others to see on the website? How will the CMS be updated? Is it updated on the Internet (where the website is uploaded "server") or on the person computer (software) Thanks for your reply.

Fireproofgfx

yes you give the CMS access to your webserver basically through the CMS's own FTP so once you change something within the CMS and select save it automatically changes on the site.

I think the CMS stays updated either by auto updating when you first open the page in the CMS.

Fireproofgfx

Oh if you upload from the CMS say your index.html that file would need to be redownloaded to your PC in order to have the latest version of your page with the updates from the changes made using the CMS

dangore

I have got another one for you! I am creating a letting website as you know and on the "homes to let page" I have put a picture of the house and a brief description. I need a search option at the top of the page though for example, 400-600per calendar month or 3 bedrooms...how can I go about doing this? or do I have to have a database running? hopefully not cause I don't understand how the databases work! Regards

webagent

I would recommend to start using an opensource CMS if you are starting to look as searches. I have personally gone from writing code in Notepad and using FTP many years ago to using open source cms.

If you sign up with a hosting company that has an automatic cms installer you can get it all done quite quick. Then you just have to learn to theme the cms which may take a while. Trust me.This is going to be less time consuming then creating a search engine.

Alternatively if you do want to take the hard path go to http://www.sphider.eu/ and install their spider which is very full on. I chose that option many years ago and can say they have a fantastic product that does a great job. But it is a bit of overkill. Open Source CMS is the way to go.