Help my code!! PLEASE!!

anna

Hello,

I am working from a template in dreamweaver on an existing site and am trying to remove a product from the navigation bar.

I went into the code and deleted the list item, refreshed the code, but the item is still there.

Please help!! Does anyone know why this is still showing up?

I restarted my computer, opened DW, and went to code view on the template- the code is gone but the item still shows up on the web!

I am bewildered to say the least. What am I doing wrong? Thank you for any suggestions!

JMCDesigner

You should really make changes via the code view, or at least split view. Ensure your tags are properly selected in code view when you delete. Editing pages purely though design view is asking for trouble. Did you upload the file after you updated it? If its a template, you will still need to upload all the files that use your template.

Brett

can I see your source so I can identify the problem? a link to the live version would also be helpful

anna

Thank you for your help. Here is the code from the navigation bar. I removed the <li> for the MSX200 which went above the MSX250. The code shows the <li> msx 200 gone (which is how it should be):

<li><a href="#" class="p7PMtrg">Sectioning</a>
<ul>
<li><a href="../products/metallography/sectioning_machine/msx_250/msx_250.htm">MSX250 Series</a></li>
<li><a href="../products/metallography/sectioning_machine/msx_300/msx_300.htm">MSX300 Series</a></li>
<li><a href="../products/metallography/sectioning_machine/msx_400/msx_400.htm">MSX400 Series</a></li>
<li><a href="../products/metallography/sectioning_machine/vc_50/vc_50.htm">VC-50 Precision Diamond Saw</a></li>

HOWEVER, if you go to

http://www.leco.com

click products/metallography/sectioning/

You will see the MSX200 listed as an option (with the url being www.leco.com/temp_pages/msx_200/msx_200.html)

So I deleted the MSX200 file from the temp pages folder in dreamweaver, and it is gone when I reboot my computer but it still shows up online.

Does this help? Thank you again...

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anna, how are the menus generated? hard coded into the top of each page? added through server side script?
When viewing source code I can only see the end result which is CSS and javascript.

Have you checked "p7popmenu.js" file? Maybe there is an array with menu values? Would be weird, but doesn't hurt to check.

anna

Thank you for your response, Pixel. Here is the code from the top:

<!-- TemplateEndEditable --><script type="text/javascript" src="../p7pm/p7popmenu.js"></script>
<style type="text/css" media="screen">
<!--
@import url(../p7pm/p7pmh11.css);
@import url(../styles/tom_hz1.css);

it looks like scripting- though I am NO expert by any means.

The strange thing about all this is that I removed a list item from the drop down menu a few weeks ago by just deleting the code (in code view) and had no problems.

Attached is the js file. I know nothing about scripting- would you mind looking at this to see if there is anything weird going on? I really appreciate everyone's help on this, thank you so much.

Attachments

• js.txt
    7 KB · Views: 46

JMCDesigner

Did you upload all your new files to the website? And deleted the necessary remote files? Did you reupload the whole website when you updated the template?

Last edited:

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
The js file is not causing the problem...just standard functions for the handling of the drop down menu. I dont know what else it could be Anna :confused:

You could try deleting the menu, uploading again, just to make sure your edits are going through? Then add the menu back in (minus the list item) and upload again. Seems kinda silly I know, but somewhere something is not working correctly, and this might help pin point the problem.

anna

Thank you for your replies, JM and Pixel.

I think I will just add the code back in the index template, then try to delete it again. I will be sure to let you know what I come up with!

Again, thank you for all your help!

anna

JM and Pixel: I fixed the code issue!

I ended up putting the code back in, saved it, uploaded it, then deleted it again, saved it and uploaded it. It finally worked and the link was gone from the nav bar.

My theory is that when I originally deleted the code and was prompted to update links I accidentally hit "no" (? I think ?) because this time when I was prompted to update, I clearly hit "yes" and it is fixed!

Anyhow I just wanted to let you know what the solution was and to thank you both for all of your help! Have a nice weekend.