Help Me! I've fallen and I can't get up!

zipman

Hi. I'm an old graphic designer but a newbie when it comes to web design. I'm trying to build a site where people can find yard sales anywhere in the U.S. I want to create a YouTube page, and I want to build a blog (I have one but it looks lame), and a forum (like the one I'm on). I would like anyone who can give me some ideas or direction or tell me what day it is, to chime in. :D

Thanks in advance.
- Rich
aka, Zipman

http://www.yardsalezip.com

athomas

WAY too simple. yes simple is good, but don't overdo it :)

I would scratch the google ads at the bottom, maybe add a background image or pattern or gradient or something. Isn't really wowing me at this point lol

mysstiq

Forget about the Google Ads for now; I would convert the horizontal navigation menu to horizontal on the left and of course make those links work. It looks to me, you set this up solely for adsense or advertising, so any other design element you are trying to build around the ads rather than the other way round.

walkingbird

When you are designing a site you need to take in to account usability. The links should be at the top and or left because that is where they are normally. The links should be in the same place on every page so they can be easily found. Search engines are normally in the right corner no the left. Your content are should have a white or color close to white for readability. If you change your content areas background color it will focus your users in on the information better. The colors you have chosen for the site are depressing try and make the site feel warmer and more inviting. If you want some more feed back you can contact me from my site. I also have a few good guides. You will also want to read some of my seo guides. I hope this post helped you out.

hawk12online

A few things.

It would probably be a good idea to but the nav bar somewhere near the top, since that is where it usually is and that is where people usually look to get to it. Also the buttons are very simplistic, they could do with changing.

It would also be a good idea to link the header (for example on this page) to the homepage of the site.

:)