Hello everyone.. Where to start?

GB2112

Hi everybody, how are all of you?

Ok, to start things off I would just like to inform you all that I have no web design or programming experience at all. But I am fully capable of learning and am very interested the the field.

So here's the thing, I am a hobby writer and artist and I would like to expand my work to the internet. I have a good idea of what I would like to accomplish and I'm looking for a little guidance from all of you. Now bare in mind that this is more of a personal goal and time is not much of an issue. Also I have spent many hours reading on the subject of web design and though I have learned much I am still a little confused.

What I'm looking to do (eventually) is create an interactive site where I can post my written and drawn works for others to see and buy. Also I have plans for registered user interactivity, I will list some features/pages I'd like to incorporate at the bottom. I have looked into different scripts and software programs as well but am unsure as to what pertains to what I am aiming for. From what I gather I should learn HTML and CSS, but I also see other languages such as PHP, JavaScript (Which I believe is HTML, correct me if I am wrong), XML etc... The same goes with software such as Dreamweaver, I see that it is renown but have also seen that i shouldn't need any software of the sort. ISP's... literally everything (remember I know nothing).

So what should I learn for my needs and why? And where should I start? I really appreciate any input you guys can offer, thank you. Again if you could just point out the specific skills/programs I will need for the list below.

List of Pages and features:

- A lot of very detailed, custom artistry and graphic design such as in borders, headers, even buttons (everything is and art to me, I want to create it all :)

- Pages where i can post dev logs, short stories, art gallery and so on..

- Somewhere people can download pdf files or anything else I may wish to upload

- Registered users, also a ranking system and a personal profile and page where users can create content and post it for others to see.

- A forum

- A wiki

- Store/donations

- Licensing/Terms of agreement/Private policy (I don't know how any of this works on the internet or what I will need)

I apologize if any of this was redundant or I posted in the wrong place.

anna

You're going to need to learn a lot. I mean really. For what you want done, I think you should check this out...

P.S. JavaScript is not the same as HTML, by the way.

Last edited:

GB2112

Thanks but no thanks

Well my goal is to basically become a web designer. Not to mention the fact that the web designers out there want $30 - $80 per hour. Now i don't know if everyone else out there can afford that on a daily basis but that does not seem very realistic, especially when I have all the materials online to teach myself. I do understand that it is a big undertaking but it is nothing that i cant do given a little time. Perhaps in the future I will consider hiring someone for this but right now my goal is to just get this off the ground.

Also what I am asking for is more of a point to tell me what I need to learn and what i can skip past so that I don't waste to much time learning something only to find out that I will never use it. Thanks though for the advice.

anna

Well my goal is to basically become a web designer. Not to mention the fact that the web designers out there want $30 - $80 per hour. Now i don't know if everyone else out there can afford that on a daily basis but that does not seem very realistic, especially when I have all the materials online to teach myself. I do understand that it is a big undertaking but it is nothing that i cant do given a little time. Perhaps in the future I will consider hiring someone for this but right now my goal is to just get this off the ground.

Also what I am asking for is more of a point to tell me what I need to learn and what i can skip past so that I don't waste to much time learning something only to find out that I will never use it. Thanks though for the advice.

Wow. By all means, young grasshopper, go, learn, and rule the universe. But when I call you for a website, you better quote me around $10/hour, by God...

kristi.stewart

Although the information you are looking for could take years to learn/master lynda.com offers excellent online tutorials for a fee.

They are step by step and this is actually where Adobe Professionals recommend you look for online training opportunities during their professional classes. Hope this helps guide you in the right direction.

And I have to agree with Anna - $30/hour is a steal for a designer - I know it sounds high but building a website is a MAJOR undertaking - from creating graphics, scripting and more. Once you begin you will realize the amount of time it takes to build a site from the ground up.

Nifty62

Hey,

I'm by no means a pro, but I found this website to be VERY helpful in my endeavor to learn HTML and CSS.

http://webtechu.com/

It's free and they offer self paced classes in HTML and CSS. The teachers have always seemed very friendly and helpful in my experience.

I found it to be a very good starting point for my learning.

Hope this helps! :)

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
dont know about that last suggested "learning" site, I almost had a heart attack looking at the curriculum for html201
HTML Tables
The HTML Tables class is the logical follow on from the HTML101 class.
This class will introduce you to the various uses of Tables on web pages - for listing information and for page layout.
There are 5 lessons with a simple exam at the end.

Lesson 1:
An explanation of what a Table is and how it is put together.
You construct a data table listing names and addresses.

Lesson 2:
This lesson takes a look at using a Table as a page layout aid - you construct a table to arrange 4 pictures with their captions in an orderly manner.

Lesson 3:
A simple lesson exploring the ways you can use color with your tables.

Lesson 4:
Learn how to design a web page with a left side decorative border.

Lesson 5:
A look at another page design using multiple tables.

Exam:
Ten questions to see how much you have learnt from the five lessons.
...oh dear

Nathan Joshua

This lesson takes a look at using a Table as a page layout aid

:eek:

List of Pages and features:

- A lot of very detailed, custom artistry and graphic design such as in borders, headers, even buttons (everything is and art to me, I want to create it all

- Pages where i can post dev logs, short stories, art gallery and so on..

- Somewhere people can download pdf files or anything else I may wish to upload

- Registered users, also a ranking system and a personal profile and page where users can create content and post it for others to see.

- A forum

- A wiki

- Store/donations

You're going to need a web developer, they cost more per hour than a web designer.

Tip: Make sure you have a big enough fan base before you spend 1000's on a website that might not be used.

Last edited: