Grid for Beginners - Any tips for good books

buffdownunder

Hi everybody,

I am new to design and bought some great books on usability (don't make me think), typo (Robin Williams books) and a book on grids that had a 5 star rating on Amazon (can't remember the title).

What I am still struggling with is general layout and proportions. Especially the grid book showed me great examples on how to use grids to create basic layouts but it failed to say how to actually implement them (the nitty gritty stuff).

For example a simple internet banner. I have heard about dividing the banner horizontally and vertically into 3 parts. I've played around with this but can't really say that it helped me create something balanced.

Another example is the 960 grid. I use Joomla and a template called Breeze that uses the 960 grid. I want to create standards for the content but I am struggling to find information on how to calculate the horizontal values of the grid (the verticals are given) and how to apply these values then.

Is there any literature around that helps me get an idea? Something similar to Robin Williams books but with an emphasis on internet layouts.

Any recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Edward

rwebber77

A woman walks up to a little old man rocking in a chair on his porch. "I couldn't help noticing how happy you look," she says. "What's your secret for a long, happy life?" "I smoke three packs a day, drink a case of whiskey a week, eat fatty foods and never, never exercise, cheap ed hardy,cheap ed hardy clothing,wholesale ed hardy,ed hardy shirts." "Wow, that's amazing," says the woman. "How old are you?" "Twenty-six."

Same self-promoting post in every category?
You are going to make enemies fast...

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Edward,
it sounds like you are trying to make a general template for many sites or pages? As far grid goes, there are many out there but dont feel as though you are limited to those, you can always create you own. They are all based around CSS. You just need to develop a look that you are happy with and start defining the params for each piece (header, paragraphs, links, etc)

Does that help or am I not understanding you correctly?