graphic/web color display problem

cobra kai

I have a color issue that's driving me crazy.

I just uploaded part of a page on a new site i'm working on just to make sure the nav looked ok on all browsers.

What i noticed is that the colors of my graphics look true to my original design on Safari but horrible on Firefox. Firefox displays the colors significantly lighter than they should be and i can't figure out why. Every other site i visit looks virtually identical in safari and firefox.

I am designing the site in illustrator cs2 and then copying and pasting each graphic element into photoshop cs2 where i save for web.
I haven't changed any of my color settings - illustrator and photoshop both set to the default sRGB IEC61966-2.1

I am completely baffled at this point, so any help is appreciated.

here is a link to the test page i am working on. it only has a menu at the top and part of a background image:
http://www.omniwool.com/temp.html

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is an issue with the color-correction data within the png image. They can render slightly different from browser to browser. What you need to do is strip the png image down with a compression tool.

PNG Crush is a command line app that can do this, but there are others too. Look into YSlow. Its a plugin for Firefox. It has a built in tool called Smush It. Smush It takes all images from a web page "smushes" (reduces) them and provides you with an optimized folder of the images that you then download. That should fix the color shift.