Got fave website design resources?

Gaursun

Hello all,

I just found the forum, thankfully. As one who is just getting started in web design and maintenance, I am wondering if you all have any favorite or best resources for learning this stuff. There is a lot out there to choose from. I looked into going to school to get a degree in this field / learn it all, but the cost was a major deterrent. So, going it on my own! - with friends' support.

Any recommends?

Thanks eh.

soza

most websites i used have already been noticed but ill give you some good advice:
- Dont try and show off your skills on a website , do what is required
- the quality of the pictures you use makes the website what it is
- Whatever you see on the internet is really not that hard to accomplish

Gaursun

Thanks for the pointers and sites ya'll, they all look like a great way to start and keep going. Tutorials will be my saving grace.

I'll definitely have fun with these.

Hey soza, even video? they look like they may be a bit hard.

Constant-Amber

Hey Gaursun
Hows the website going? I looked into going to school too but I don't have the time with two kids(18 months and 2 months). They take up most of my time :-D. But when i do get the time to sit at the computer a fiddle around i use http://www.w3schools.com/ and http://www.html.net/. These two sites seem pretty straight forward on how to start one. Good Luck with the web designing.

KamikazeNow

The funny thing is now you can look up video tutorials on youtube and find out how to do just about anything, so there's definitely no need to pay for school. I wish I didnt spend 4 yrs and 50k going to school. A degree is just a piece of paper. When you go for the interview with your degree. They will more than likely ask for experience.

octapulse

The funny thing is now you can look up video tutorials on youtube and find out how to do just about anything, so there's definitely no need to pay for school. I wish I didnt spend 4 yrs and 50k going to school. A degree is just a piece of paper. When you go for the interview with your degree. They will more than likely ask for experience.

Well said! I would suggest that once you have the hang of building websites and you are confident in your ability, go around to some of your local owner/operator buisnesses and talk to the owners and ask them if they have a website. If they dont, offer to build one for them for free to build a portfolio. Chances are that if they really like the work you did they will break you off something anyway.

vilen3

Flash Factory

http://www.flashfactory.com

They offer really good flash templates and you can customize it anyway you want.

I don't know much about web design but know how important it is to have a professional looking site.

It's very affordable and totally worth it.

cjdesign

WOW !!!...this is a great topic for a newbie like me. Thank you for the question posted and people who are so kind to share their knowledge about how to get started in web design. I love this forum :) thank you so much guys !!!

LouTheDesigner

While I agree that experience is great, I left my university with a full portfolio, business cards, logo, letterhead, self-promotion ideas, alternative portfolio, and some great contacts. One of our assignments was to volunteer to create a web site for a particular group on campus, and we received great feedback on our client-relationships and design process.

The degree may just be an overpriced piece of paper, but I think that attending a university helped me gain experience at an accelerated rate.

-Lou

terenceblog

Fave Website Design Resources

www.webdesign.org is my favourite,
lots of useful resources there.
Besides that, this forum is another great source of learning for me, people are willing to give advices and guidance, although I don't often post :eek:

wade635

w3schools is great. also check out blogs for more resources. theres about 50 I follow that stay on the latest edge of development. it's good for staying up to date.