Google Certifications

krymson

So I've spent the last few days taking my Google AdWords and Analytics certification exams. Now that I'm done, do people even care about that? Potential employers, potential clients, and potential competition do it set me a part from them? Is it enough, on top of my blog postings and other works I do, to show that I'm an expert?

What do you think and your suggestions?

chrishirst

Staff member
Now that I'm done, do people even care about that?
Probably not.
Google "certify' people for the same reasons that Micro$oft, App£e, Ci$co etc. do, it's good for their business, because you are going to promote that product you are 'certified' for.

Potential employers, potential clients, and potential competition do it set me a part from them?
It may, for the people who look for or 'care' about such things.

krymson

That's what I was thinking. Right now I'm more in the market of promoting myself as a consultant rather than a web developer. I'm working on getting public speaking engagements to educate more small businesses about digital marketing. I got the certs as a way of showing i know what I'm talking about and they can trust that I can show them how to take advantage of the tools.

So with all of that being said, as a small business owner, would you see someone having those certs as more reliable than someone that does not have those certs?

chrishirst

Staff member
Potentially it could, though such 'certification' only shows competence in "button pushing" and providing the right answers to the questions, it does not necessarily indicate that you know anything at all about real world marketing and promotion.
Being able to 'talk a good job" is different to being able to "do a good job"

As is often said, those who can, do; Those who can't, teach.

What you need to do is not make a 'big thing' of the "on paper" qualification, but have some "facts and figures" that demonstrate you can actually add 'real world value' for the client or prospective employer.

It's a bit like being a good tax accountant, ... ... You justify your worth by what you can save the client from spending unnecessarily.

Robert-B

They are a waste of time imo. Just because you are certified by Google or similar does not make you more qualified, that someone who is not. I have noticed many agencies tend to display these on their website. They also train their staff to also be accredited as they believe that it gives them the edge over the competition.

orangecopper

yes mate, people do really care about it. Especially when you apply for a job they also like to take credit and sell the aspect that their employees are google certified..

tk-hassan

yes these certifications really matters if you are going to apply in jobs where you have to deal with these services of Google

cwvps

It's good to see that you're certified, but as soon as you start working you will need to go beyond and justify those certs - offer real value and apply your knowledge. So, these are only good as a recommendation, but I think that's all.

CenTex Hosting

I have both for myself and in the years that I have done marketing I have never once had a customer ask for my certification. If you have references of your work that is all that you will need.