Google Ads

DangerMouse

Hi everyone! A little intro before my questions...

I am a graphic designer (13 years) at a marketing firm (love my job too). In the past two years I brought myself over the bridge from print media into web design and flash. So still a bit of a newbie in those areas, but mounds of print experience. I have created our company website, added SEO and am constantly tweaking for better results (both SEO and content). We are at a point now where we are going to purchase google ads next week to "test" the waters.

Wondering what everyone's experience/feedback on purchasing google ads. I know they can pay off, but wanted your personal opinions.(for those that have purchased only...I have already heard the "textbook" benefits)

How did they work for you? (if at all)
How much did you invest?
What were your benefits?
Or any other feedback is welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

fromthe5

I have in the past managed PPC campaigns for clients while building good generic rankings. One thing I noticed over time was that lots more people will click on the generic returns than the paid ads. (positioning being equal) I see some companies doing both SEO successfully and doing PPC along with it, but not many. If you rank high generically for a term, I consider the additional PPC to be overkill, not to mention costly.

How much you invest depends on the competiveness of the phrase, which of course is directly related to the minimum bid, or to the bid that it takes to get you on the first page. From there it's "how many people click on your ad".

IMO it's best to run ads only on search results pages, not web wide.

DangerMouse

Hey, thanks for the response and that link.
I'll be looking into it a bit more.

wondering on those stats quoted:
20% of people click on Ads
80% click on organic

Where did you find this information?

Cheers.