Getting Started

zaricpp

Hello everybody, I just joined and I feel this is a great site to get started in web design.

I haven't designed a website yet, and I'm wondering, where do I start? Obviously learn HTML. I've read about scripting languages like Javascript. Is that important too?

I do know C++ and batch pretty well, (im no newbie to computers, just to web design)

How would I begin designing, obvously with simple stuff at first?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

Thank all of you in advance for your time,

zaricpp

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
or take it one step further and go straight to the source.
w3.org
download the specs
print them
read them forwards and backwards several times

you'll need to know html obviously (4.01 AND 5)
you'll need to get your head around CSS (2.1 AND 3)
you can avoid javascript if you must but it would be wise to know at least basics and definately become friends with jquery
also if you intend on using CMS' such as joomla, drupal or wordpress then basic PHP is a must, and some understanding of MySQL.
Learn to code and steer clear of things that "make it easier" like psd to html (ugh!) AP elements (horrible) Tables (unless its for tabular data) and DONT EVER rely on Dreamweaver design view!!! or for that matter any wysiwyg editors (which ironically are more wysiNOTwyg)

DHDdirect

Yeah but w3schools.com is a lot more pleasant for the beginner with easy to understand tutorials and examples. ;-)

zaricpp

So is it reccomended that i code in a plain text editor instead of using something like dreamweaver?

Thanks again everybody!

DHDdirect

If you have Dreamweaver or another editor where you can swap between code view and design view then I'd use it. What Phreadee is saying is don't completely rely on the design views of such applications. They are for reference only and should always be compared to actual browsers. I'd suggest download all the major browsers for comparision (IE, FF, Chrome, Opera, Safari).