General Question About a News Site

cearl

So I'm looking to make a website that (without going into much detail) organizes news stories about a particular topic into different categories. Is there any way to do this automatically (make a script that searches for keywords and put those links in the given sections) or will I have to do it all manually, since I'm at a pretty amateur level? I know some HTML and Java, and am currently learning Ruby on Rails.

Thanks

chrishirst

Staff member
So I'm looking to make a website that (without going into much detail) organizes news stories about a particular topic into different categories.

It's called "scraping" and/or "auto-blogging", so I wouldn't worry about going into details as it is not a "ground breaking" idea.

HTML and Java,
Java or javascript?

cearl

It's called "scraping" and/or "auto-blogging", so I wouldn't worry about going into details as it is not a "ground breaking" idea.

Java or javascript?

javascript.

Thanks, I'm really new to this and it was pretty hard to word a search correctly to get what I wanted.

Last edited:

chrishirst

Staff member
For example, there's the list of relevant stories on the right side of the page on this webpage

https://www.google.com/finance?q=goog&ei=6uAnUqAfopyXA5E2
They are from Adwords advertising campaigns.

Can I do that with scraping or autoblogging? Like not gather specific data; but rather find relevant articles and post links to them along with a picture in a list.
Yep! You can create content pages and use Adsense to show relevant advertising, or You can republish RSS feeds.

Also it has been given a nice new 'Buzz' phrase name of "content curation"

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also it has been given a nice new 'Buzz' phrase name of "content curation"

Ooooh. That sounds artsy. ;)

Seriously, though. Are you just trying to do what Google News does? If so, I think you'll find a really steep barrier to entry on that market. News aggregators aren't exactly a new thing.

cearl

Ooooh. That sounds artsy. ;)

Seriously, though. Are you just trying to do what Google News does? If so, I think you'll find a really steep barrier to entry on that market. News aggregators aren't exactly a new thing.

Well my idea is to organize stock news into specific categories, like if a certain event is effecting supply, then it comes up in the supply section. Demand, demand section, political implications etc. Not really a lucrative idea but I just want to make something simple.